The best French toast ever?! Really? YES, really! Try this recipe and I predict that you will also be calling it the best you’ve ever had.
Alright, let’s start this post with the truth: I am not a breakfast person.
I don’t wake up hungry – most days I don’t want to eat until noon or so. And when I do eat before noon, I don’t want sweet things – or eggs. You read that right – this food blogger doesn’t eat eggs; poached, scrambled, omelet or otherwise, so most breakfast foods are just not my cup of tea (except for that occasional “Waffle House” waffle).
This is the best French toast that I have ever made. I will never go back to any other type of bread for French toast, and I may actually make French toast often. Brioche and Alton Brown, I bow down to you for creating perfection. Delicious perfection.
I know I’m setting my self up for hate mail when this isn’t everyone’s favorite French toast, but it is the best ever. At least in my book. So there :p
I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did!
If you’ve tried my Best French Toast Ever recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (1/2-inch) slices day-old or stale country loaf, brioche or challah bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, and salt. You may do this the night before.
- When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan, and allow to sit for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan.
- Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 5 minutes. Repeat with all 8 slices.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit.
- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls with Lids (Set of 3) by Fitzroy and Fox, Blue or Red
- Ultra Cuisine 100% Stainless Steel Wire Cooling Rack for Baking fits Half Sheet Pan – Cool Cookies, Cakes, Breads - Oven Safe for Cooking, Roasting, Grilling - Heavy Duty Commercial Quality
- Coombs Family Farms Organic Maple Syrup, Grade A Amber Color, Rich Taste, 16 oz Jug
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 356 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 222mg Sodium: 423mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 13g Protein: 9g