Looking to satisfy the sweet tooth, but stay a little on the healthy side? This recipe for Toasted Coconut Blueberry Banana Bread Scones is a high-protein treat made with Muuna Cottage Cheese.
This post was sponsored by Muuna Cottage Cheese and their funky fun little single serve cups, but the recipe creation and deliciousness is, as always, all my own.
When it comes to baking, we all know my sweet tooth isn’t as prevalent as my quest for savory deliciousness (like these amazing bacon biscuits). So, when I sit down to create a recipe that’s a bit more indulgent, I have been working to break the mold by using healthier alternatives, creative ingredients, and overall folding in less sugar of the recipes as I test them in the kitchen. I have found that I can often cut the sugar in most baking recipes by half when I start and not even notice less sweetness. Lately, I’ve been using Muuna Cottage Cheese as a key ingredient in several of my dishes. This healthier alternative adds a creamy melt-in-your-mouth texture and more protein! They are seriously re-imagining cottage cheese!
What could I put in a scone?
This one was no different, I basically knew I wanted a delicious scone to serve with morning coffee, but I wanted to omit most of the sugar, and use healthy ingredients I had on hand to actually bump up the wow factor. I started out to make blueberry scones, and noticed some ripening bananas to my left, and remembered some coconut flakes in the freezer I could toast too. At that point, it became a hunt for what else I may have on hand, and I chopped some nuts up to add that extra crunch. Before I knew it, there was a crazy delicious batter in front of me, ready for baking.
On top of reducing the sugar in my recipes, I’ve been trying to make efforts to swap traditional fats and liquids for things that can add some bonus value (extra vitamins, proteins, you get the idea)! I remembered the Muuna Blueberry Cottage Cheese I’d recently grabbed while a hangry rush through the market had me tossing in some fun new bonus items to play with and since I’d already eaten the pineapple I smuggled home in the cart full of fun finds (hello delicious real pineapple chunks). I decided I would sub the cottage cheese for the buttermilk I had planned on using. Idea gold.
Packed with Protein
Bonus, by using Muuna Blueberry Cottage Cheese, I was upping the protein in this recipe. Each of their individual fruit cups contains 15g of protein per serving. But, of course, what makes it even better and easier to enjoy is that melt-in-your-mouth creamy texture and delicious pieces of real fruit on the bottom, if you’re just diving straight in. Cottage cheese is not something I would have even thought about in a morning pastry, but knowing I was adding a little something healthy for only 130 calories and 9g of sugar to the sweet treat made it seem that much less guilty. Plus, with my crazy biking goals, I love fueling up on protein as it seems to be the only thing that satiates my hunger for a long time.
Another thing I love about these snack sized cups is I don’t have to worry about the junk I am trying to omit being compromised by fake substitutes like a lot of the ‘low-fat’ alternatives. Each cup of Muuna cottage cheese contains no high fructose corn syrup or stevia and are free of artificial flavors, colors, and sweeteners. Finally, a snack that gets it. #Winning
It’s funny; I’d always thought of my great aunt or shriveled noses and bifocals when I thought of cottage cheese, and now it’s totally replacing that sweet Greek yogurt That’s right cottage cheese is making a comeback! I’d come to crave in. I am so glad Muuna came along so I can add a little variety to my mid-afternoon hunger crush – and sneak in some added value to my recipes!
Toasted Coconut Blueberry Banana Bread Scones
If you’ve tried this Toasted Coconut Blueberry Banana Bread Scones recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- ½ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbs cold butter, cut into ¼ cubes
- 2 cups Muuna Blueberry Cottage Cheese, 4 of the single serve cups
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Work in the butter with your finger tips, breaking it down into smaller pea sized cubes.
- In another bowl, combine the Muuna Blueberry Cottage Cheese, vanilla, and bananas. Mix in the egg to combine. Add the toasted coconut and pecans and just combine.
- Working in batches, fold the cottage cheese mixture into the flour.
- Lightly flour the parchment paper and turn the batter out. Knead a few times before forming into a large disk, about 2” thick. Press slight markings for the cut lines with a knife or dough cutter.
- Place into the preheated oven, reduce heat to 375 and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until crust if firm and inside is set.
- Remove from the oven, cover with a clean town and allow the scones to rest a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve warm with fresh whipped cream, blueberry jam, and blueberries.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 706Saturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 1031mgCarbohydrates: 87gFiber: 4gSugar: 25gProtein: 19g
This looks amazing but I don’t have the time to make Banana Bread! Yes you do. If you’re in a rush, make this Banana Bread, it only takes 6 minutes start to finish. What? Yup.