Get fancy with this grown-up childhood classic: Savory Balsamic Roasted Strawberry and Basil Grilled Cheese Recipe
No lie, I am not a fruit eater (obviously). I just never had it and the texture became weird to me. But, as an adult I realize how important it is to enjoy a balanced diet of all things and that fruit is an excellent source of all the good little things that keep the heart pumping and the body happy and I have been diligently working on my fruit consumption.
From sneaking berries into my daily spinach smoothie to slicing an apple and making sure to chow down on it between meals - I am slowly working fruit (and not just the bits you find in ice cream) into my daily meals. Heck I had no idea that fruit was also a great sugar replacement for my snack cravings - 1 cup of fresh strawberries is only 50 calories?! No way! (True). And only 8 True). And only 8 Florida Strawberries is your Vitamin C for the day. Two birds, one happy healthy stone.
Since I am not too keep on sweets (though, I have made some killer strawberry themed desserts & cocktails in the past), I wanted to find a way to start sneaking strawberries into my savory foods as well. I love the idea of mixing a few into salsa and salads! There's a quantity even my picky palette can appreciate. Today, I decided to go a little while and make a luxurious grilled cheese oozing with creamy brie and popping with a burst of sharp flavor from the basil and freshly ground black pepper. For some more strawberry recipe inspiration - check the list of recipes below or click here and check out Florida Strawberry Recipes directly from the source.
Follow Florida Strawberry on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest | YouTube | Twitter | & Check StrawberrySue.com for more fun ideas!
This weekend I was lucky to spend the weekend catching up with the team at Florida Strawberries in Tampa! Check out my Instagram feed for pics of the stunning Epicurean Hotel, the tasty Cask Social Kitchen, Ava , Edge Rooftop Bar at Epicurean, Elevage , Bern's Harry Waugh Dessert Room! I will be tagging them and sharing pics all weekend long! And bonus - I will be speaking on photography so be sure to catch up for some great tips on that too!
Savory Balsamic Roasted Strawberry and Basil Grilled Cheese
- 8 fresh strawberries - hulled and sliced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 slices hearty white bread - sliced thick
- 1 - 2 tbs butter butter - divided
- Fresh basil
- 1 wedge triple crème brie - about 5 - 8 oz
- Preheat the oven to 375. Toss the sliced strawberries in a bowl.
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar and honey together.
- Toss the strawberries with the balsamic mix to coat.
- Arrange on a baking dish in an even layer and sprinkle with freshly ground salt.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat your skillet to medium heat.
- Meanwhile, butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Arrange the strawberries, brie and basil on half of the bread.
- Season with a bit of black pepper. Top with the remaining slices.
- Melt remaining tablespoon butter in pan and toast each sandwich on both sides until golden and cheese is getting all gooey and perfect.
- To serve, brush with any remaining balsamic mixture on the roasting pan if desired.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!
Check out all of these delightful Strawberry inspired recipes!
- Strawberry Bee’s Knees by Go Epicurista
- Strawberries with Balsamic Glaze by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Hotteok (Fried Stuffed Pancake) by kimchi MOM
- Strawberry Salsa 2-Ways by Midlife Road Trip
- Strawberry and Cream Cheese Breakfast Pastries with a Strawberry Dipping Sauce by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by Momma’s Meals
- Sparkling Strawberry Salad by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Steak Salad by Family Foodie
Strawberry Main Dishes
- Chicken Fajitas with Strawberry-Jalapeno Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Balsamic Strawberries and Brie Grilled Sandwich by Sunday Supper Movement
- Savory Balsamic Roasted Strawberry and Basil Grilled Cheese by Pass The Sushi
- Strawberry Bruschetta Chicken by The Dinner-Mom
- Chocolate Strawberry Tart by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Cream Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Fraisier by Love and Confections
- Strawberry Upside-Down Cheesecake by The Crumby Cupcake
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry Growers Association in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Oh my yumminess! Love the flavors in this cheesy sandwich! Looking forward to making it 🙂 What a fun video!
It was sheer pleasure to meet you this past weekend and learn from you about food photography. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and this marvelous recipe too!
Christina Thomas says
This grilled cheese combines all things I love! I can't believe I've never tried it before but it will probably become my go-to! And how fun would it be to pair it with a strawberry bee's knees cocktail for an easy girls get-together! it was great meeting you Kita! You definitely rocked the photo workshop! Cheers!
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
Oh man and with brie? Love.