One of my favorite treats as a child was a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream. I would swirl it about until it became soft then gobble it up. With this recipe, I found myself falling back into old habits.
It’s Monday – and the first day of summer! And that should mean a new weekly theme for the next 12 weeks on PtS… But, it doesn’t. Part of me wants to promise epic sandwiches for the theme, but I know that that’s happening over at Girl Carnivore, and part of me was thinking frozen treats, so there we are, ICE CREAM! More importantly, Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!
So going out to get ice cream is honestly one of my favorite things to do. But do you know what I like even more? Making my own. Blending just the right amount of flavors together and creating something that is altogether better than what I can get anywhere else, and exactly what I am craving at the moment. And at this moment, it is mint chocolate chip.
What makes this Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream the one that you want?
The Creme de Menthe. Yup. That is the secret. Slightly boozy ice creams are way smoother. The texture is right on point, and you will keep swinging your spoon back for more. There are a lot of good ice cream bases out there, but I am partial to this one. Try it yourself. It’s that good. And it’s that easy. Waiting six hours for it to harden is the hardest part.
Oh, and I do have a summer full of awesome giveaways for you. I mean… awesome. So, there’s that. 😉
And now, on to the recipe.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
I think ice cream should be mandatory once a week all summer long. If you really want to throw down with your ice cream maker, check these out!
Spiked & Spicy Mexican Mocha Ice Cream Recipe
Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Roasted Strawberry Jam Swirl
Tagalong Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
If you’ve tried my Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup creme de menthe
- 3/4 cup Andes mint chocolates, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until pale yellow.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the cream and milk until edges just begin to bubble.
- Slowly, pour the hot cream into the egg mixture, whisking the entire time.
- Return to the saucepan and cook over medium heat until it registers 170 F on a candy thermometer or coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the creme de menthe.
- Pour into a large bowl, cover, and cool completely in fridge at least 6 hours.
- Process the mixture according to your ice cream maker’s directions, adding the chopped mint chocolates during the last few minutes of churning.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze over night.
Adapted from Slushed
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 621Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 284mgSodium: 74mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 0gSugar: 44gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information provided is an estimate from nutritionix.com. For specific health concerns, please put the recipe into your Dr recommended nutrition calculator.