Want a crazy delicious easy pasta dinner? Can't pick between Italian or Mexican? This super easy skillet enchilada pasta is a fun meal that is the best of both worlds.
Ever since seeing Julie's Enchilada Pasta Casserole, I have been dying to try out the flavor combo of pasta and creamy enchilada. I needed a quick dinner to get us through before the barrage of other leftovers took over my fridge and this was the perfect solution. I gathered my normal enchilada fixins and got to work. Adjust the heat for your family's taste.
- 2 tbs olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 lbs chicken, cut into bit sized pieces
- ½ onion chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 10 oz cans enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teas Tabasco
- 2 oz Velveeta cheese (use shredded cheddar or another cheese of your choice if Velveeta is not your thing)
- 8 oz pasta
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream, cilantro, scallions
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in skillet.
- Brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, cover, and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook the onions and peppers until soft, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, Tabasco, Velveeta and pasta.
- Cover and adjust heat as needed to maintain a low simmer.
- Cook until pasta is al dente, stirring to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom. (My bow tie pasta took about 10 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium low and add chicken, and any accumulated juices back to the skillet.
- Cook until everything is heated through and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- If desired, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and place under broiler for a few minutes until cheese has melted.
- Top with scallions, cilantro, and a large dollop of sour cream, or serve in small containers on the table for everyone to scoop their own toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 773mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information provided is an estimate from nutritionix.com. For specific health concerns, please put the recipe into your Dr recommended nutrition calculator.