You know that creamy hamburger casserole you loved as a kid? Update it from scratch with this easy 30-minute recipe
If you are anything like me, you have that one picky eater in your house. The one who wants a certain brand that they grew up with, and sneaking in any alternative can be very very tricky.
Nothing stings more than spending too much money for something. I am the queen of being frugal with my hard earned bucks and love when I have the opportunity to be savvy in my shopping choices, but playing the brand game can drive me a little bit bonkers.
- 2 boxes shells and cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ½ onion - chopped
- 1 ½ 90 % lean ground beef
- ½ red pepper - stemmed and chopped
- ½ green pepper - stemmed and chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms - sliced
- 1 tbs Steak Seasoning
- ½ teas garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes - or two 14oz cans crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices pre-cooked bacon - chopped
- Handful fresh cherry tomatoes - chopped
- ¼ red onion - chopped
- Pickled jalapenos on the side - if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large pot of water, boil the pasta and drain according to the package. Fold in the cheese and cover to keep warm,
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat swirl the olive oil to coat the pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until tender. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up as needed to crumble and brown all over.
- When browned, add the peppers, mushrooms, steak seasoning, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine. Add in the crushed tomatoes. In an baking dish, fold the ground beef mixture and the prepared shells and cheese together. Sprinkle with the shredded sharp cheddar and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese is melted and dish is bubbling.
- Carefully remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes.
- Top with the crumbled bacon, chopped tomatoes, red onion, and if using, jalapeno slices.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!