Bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast might sound like a fancy meal that's hard to make, but they’re really very easy to make. This savory recipe will become one of your favorite meals after you taste it. Stuffed with goat cheese and then wrapped in bacon, it makes the perfect weeknight family dinner.
This bacon wrapped stuffed chicken is a delicious, quick and easy recipe that I’ve been making for years. The thinly pounded chicken is loaded with creamy goat cheese and herbs wrapped in bacon, then seared off tastes like it's straight from your favorite restaurant.
What You Need to Make Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts are the key to this recipe. Check the package when buying to look for evenly sized chicken portions. Take a moment to trim off any fat or loose bits before pounding these out.
- Goat cheese. Look for chevre in a log or crumbles to make this recipe easy. Bonus points if you get the kind loaded with herbs.
- Fresh herbs like basil and thyme go a long way boosting the flavor of this recipe.
- Black pepper
- Bacon, go for a thick cut here, as thin cut can burn or stick to the pan.
- Toothpicks. Remove at least 3 toothpicks per breast and have them set aside, that way you dont have to pause to wash your hands to grab more if needed.
- Olive Oil
How to Cook Stuffed Chicken Breast
First, pound out the chicken breast. Depending on the chicken you may want to take a paring knife and clean up any fat or loose pieces before continuing on. You are trying to create a uniform thickness for even cooking time.
Once the chicken is all pounded out, arrange the goat cheese evenly in the center of each breast. Season the chicken with minced herbs and pepper.
Next, work to wrap the chicken around the filling, folding any necessary pieces over to make a uniform roll.
Then, carefully wrap the chicken in the bacon, and secure with toothpicks.
In a preheated skillet, sear the bacon-wrapped chicken on all sides (this makes for crispy bacon when enjoying later and a step I never skip) before finishing it off in the oven to cook until it reaches a safe 165F.
Allow the chicken to rest before serving because the cheese on the inside is super hot at this point!
Tips, Tricks, and Notes for Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- If you prefer dark meat, you could use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe, but the shape requires a little more attention when rolling back up.
- Play around with goat cheese. There are a lot of options out there from wild blueberry goat cheese to everything goat cheese. Feel free to use different options every time you make this.
- If you don't care for goat cheese, softened cream cheese, or whipped cream cheese works as a substitute for goat cheese.
- For the bacon, try peppered bacon or maple bacon for bonus flavor as well.
- Chefs note: Because of the cheese and bacon, I use minimal salt for seasoning the chicken breast.
What to Serve with Stuffed Chicken Breast
Pair this bacon-wrapped chicken with a fresh kale salad and bacon vinaigrette, creamy mashed potatoes, or roasted green beans for a hearty meal.
We also love adapting this recipe for this Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe with Chicken as a fun pasta night!
How to Store Leftover Stuffed Bacon-Wrapped Chicken
Store any leftovers in an airtight container, or in plastic wrap for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave on low, in 30-second bursts, or in an oven preheated to 325F for 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through.
Keep in mind, that if the chicken was already sliced into, most of the goat cheese will have melted out or will melt out while reheating.
More Chicken Recipes to Try
If you’ve tried my Bacon Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 3 chicken breasts
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- Olive Oil
- Slice goat cheese into thin strips.
- On a flat surface, arrange plastic wrap in a single layer. Place the chicken, one at a time in the center, and cover with another sheet of plastic wrap.
- Pound out your chicken to ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Lay goat cheese in the center of each piece of chicken and sprinkle basil, thyme and black pepper evenly over each.
- Using toothpicks to secure, fold the chicken up and wrap in bacon.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Place chicken in skillet and cover for 5 minutes. Rotate and brown on all sides.
- Transfer skillet to oven (or use a new baking dish) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with basil linguini and a salad.
If you don't have a kitchen mallet to pound the chicken, I use a rolling pin and it does the job just as well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 45g
Nutrition information provided is an estimate from nutritionix.com. For specific health concerns, please put the recipe into your Dr recommended nutrition calculator.