I may or may not have put another tally mark on the calendar the other day and decided to treat myself to a little something something (I may have also gone on a crazy shopping spree via ModCloth and Sephora as well…. ). A birthday always means cake and sprinkles – and well – I think I definitely wiped up an ice cream that covers all those bases and then some.I’m not sure if it’s because my birthday is at the end of summer, and that whole back to school nationwide panic hits everyone with a to do list, or if it’s just because I’m getting ‘old’ but I suddenly have a list of things I have got to accomplish. A ton of things that have to get done. Look forward to some new directions.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup funfetti cake batter mix
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup cake vodka
- handful sprinkles
- 2 slices of cake, frosting included
- Whisk the eggs and cake batter together in a bowl. It will become thick and lumpy.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the milk and cream until edges just begin to bubble. Carefully whisk into the egg yolk mixture, making sure to break up any lumps. Return the mixture to the saucepan over medium heat again until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 3 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Set in a fresh bowl over an ice bath and whisk in the vodka, whisking to lower the temperature. Cover and place in fridge until completely chilled 6 – 8 hours.
- When ready to churn the ice cream, chop up the cake and have it and extra sprinkles ready to go. Churn the cream mixture according to manufactures directions. When almost set, add the cake, crumbs and all. Spoon into a resealable container, randomly tossing in sprinkles here and there. Seal and freeze over night.
- Serve with sprinkles on top. Because you can really never have enough sprinkles…