Chocolate Chip Pecan Cinnamon Rolls – That’s right, flaky baked cinnamon rolls filled with warm melting chocolate chips, everyone’s favorite hazelnut spread, and crunchy pecans. Read: the best cinnamon rolls ever.
The good, the bad, and the baked goods.
I owe the world an apology. Recently I have taken time to become selfish. I took some much needed time to step back and sort out some things and put my feet back under me. And you know what? It felt great. And now I am back – and ready to speak with that voice I lost along the way and show you guys those crazy travels and mouth-watering recipes that keep me grounded and excited to create!
We can get into those details later, you know, a little girl talk with cocktails. But for now, let’s roll into BRUNCH WEEK! It’s an event that’s been going on a few years and I am finally saddling up and joining in. A week-long party for crazy delicious eats centered around everyone’s favorite meal.
See, there’s something about brunch that works. It’s my favorite meal out, something about the sneaky act of not cooking and sipping something slow out and about or taking the morning slow and lazy and finally setting something crazy good (like these Chocolate Chip Pecan Cinnamon Rolls – hint hint wink wink) down on the table. So now, without further ramblings….
Welcome to #BrunchWeek 2018 hosted by Love and Confections and A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures! This year is even bigger and better than ever! Thirty-eight bloggers from around the country are showcasing their best brunch dishes. We have so many delicious recipes for you to enjoy throughout the week (over 150!!) including cocktails, appetizers, pastries, tarts, main courses, and plenty of desserts! Our BrunchWeek Sponsors are helping us give away some great prizes. Thank you so much, Sponsors, for your generosity. We have an incredible giveaway below and we’d love if you would take a moment to read about it and what you can win!
And you should definitely give today’s recipe a try.
If you’ve tried my Chocolate Chip Pecan Cinnamon Rolls recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
For the Rolls
- 2 1/4 oz packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup buttermilk, warmed to 110 degrees F
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups flour
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 cup nutella, warmed but not hot
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, I used dark chocolate chips
For the Glaze
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp powered sugar
- 1 tbsp buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp hazelnut bakery emulsion
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the Rolls
- Mix the yeast in a mixing cup with the warmed buttermilk and allow to sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Meanwhile, whisk the butter, sugar, salt, and eggs in a large bowl.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add 2 cups of the flour and make a well in the center for the buttermilk. Pour the buttermilk-yeast mixture and the butter-egg mix and start mixing slowly adding in the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Knead on low for 5 to 10 minutes until the dough forms a ball. Add the remaining 1/2 cup if the dough is not coming together.
- Transfer the dough to a grease bowl, cover and allow to rest in a warm dry area, until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean working surface sprinkled with a bit of flour. Divide in half and roll out into a large rectangle
For the Filling
- Toast the pecans in a preheated oven at 400 for 5 to 7 minutes, until fragrant. Remove, allow to cool, and chop.
- Spread the nutella filling evenly over the rolled out dough., leaving an inch on a long end to roll. Sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped toasted pecans.
- Tightly roll towards the edge that has been left clear, and cut into equal portions.
- Arrange the rolls in a grease baking dish, cut side down, and cover.
- Allow to rest, 45 minutes to 1 hour, until risen again.
To Make the Chocolate chip Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from oven to cool
Make the Glaze
- While the chocolate chip pecan cinnamon rolls are cooling, whisk the softened cream cheese with the powdered sugar, buttermilk, hazelnut bakery emulsion and cinnamon. Spread over the cooled (but still warm) rolls and sprinkle with more toasted chopped pecans for serving.
Alternatively, you can line a cast iron pan with parchment and bake the rolls in cast iron.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 513Saturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 38gProtein: 6g
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Cà Phê Trứng (Vietnamese Egg Coffee) from Tara’s Multicultural Table.
Cold Brew with Hazelnut Simple Syrup from The Barbee Housewife.
Hazelnut Milk Punch from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Irish Coffee from My Catholic Kitchen.
Strawberry Frosé from Love and Confections.
Everything Bagel Dip from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen.
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Bacon, Asparagus and Spinach Frittata from Eat Move Make.
Cauliflower Waffles from Caroline’s Cooking.
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole from Karen’s Kitchen Stories.
Deviled Eggs with Capers, Cucumber and Red Onion from Family Around the Table.
Farmers Casserole from A Day in the Life on the Farm.
Ham & Artichoke Strata from The Chef Next Door.
Ham, Asparagus and Gruyere Quiche from The Redhead Baker.
Hash Brown Waffles with Bacon & Eggs from Amy’s Cooking Adventures.
Mom’s Egg Salad Sandwich from Girl Abroad.
Spicy Pimento Cheese Omelet from For the Love of Food.
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains, and Pastries:
Bacon and Cheese Twists from Big Bear’s Wife.
Caramel Apple Dutch Baby from The Bitter Side of Sweet.
Carrot Cake Muffins from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures.
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cinnamon Rolls from Pass the Sushi.
Coconut Cream Pie Donuts from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us.
Coconut Raspberry Skillet Pancake from Books n’ Cooks.
Danish Twists with Cream Cheese Filling from That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
French Toast Muffin Bites from Daily Dish Recipes
Make Ahead Mocha Granola from Wholistic Woman.
Snickerdoodle Pancakes from Mildly Meandering.
Toasted Coconut Granola from Cooking With Carlee.
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Antipasto Pizza from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Asparagus & Crab Cake Benedict from The Crumby Kitchen
Breakfast Pizza from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks.
Corned Beef Hash Benedict from Sweet Beginnings.
Mini Breakfast Pot Pies from Forking Up.
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
I Dream of Hawaii Smoothie Bowl from Brunch-n-Bites.
Prosciutto Wrapped Pineapple Spears from Kudos Kitchen by Renee.
Refrigerator Pickled Asparagus from Shockingly Delicious.
Breakfast Oatmeal Thumbprint Cookies from The Spiffy Cookie.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Coffeecake from It Bakes Me Happy.
Chocolate Coffee Maple Cupcakes from The PinterTest Kitchen.