Chicken gnocchi soup is hearty and full of flavor from juicy chicken, potato gnocchi, and tender veggies. It can be made on the stove top or in a slow cooker.
If you are anything like me – a quick and easy meal WINS many a night. And with this one you are guarenteed big time flavor.
Because it’s a copycat recipe from America’s favorite ‘Italian’ eatery!
And since they do just about every single dish justice at ye old Olive Garden, this soup is no different (though I hear it’s no longer on the menu – craziness).
I have tested (and
Now, back to this soup.
Because, it’s possibly the best quick fix slow cooker soup you can make.
This is one of those toss things into a slow cooker, run some errands and come home to dinner done sort of recipes. It’s also a great way to use up leftover chicken.
Apparently, a version of this chicken gnocchi soup used to be served at The Olive Garden. It’s since been replaced by the Zuppa Tuscano soup. Personally, I like this soup better.
What is Gnocchi and where can I get it?
From the comments I’ve received on this post, it seems that gnocchi is nearly mythical in some supermarkets.
For clarification, Gnocchi
As such, it is sometimes hiding in the store with the frozen potatoes and not the pasta. I would check around in the fresh and dried pasta sections, and with the frozen spuds.
Otherwise, relocate to a more Italian friendly neighborhood, and you are sure to find it at a fresh pasta vendor. For me though, I would make them.
This Gnocchi Recipe is pretty outstanding. And I won’t blame you if you make a double batch to have them with the short ribs and in the soup.
I made this chicken gnocchi soup in a crock pot and let simmer for a while, adding the gnocchi and spinach towards the end when we were getting ready to serve it.
Now, I need to go stock up on some meat. Lots and lots of meat.
And dust off that slow cooker. While it’s on the counter (after making this soup of course) you should go ahead and put it through it’s paces with these delicious slow cooker creations.
Slow Cooker Loaded Hash Browns
Slow Cooker Rum Soaked Fig Cranberry Sauce
Slow Cooker Lemon Artichoke Dip
If you’ve tried my Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 1 cup chicken breasts, diced and cooked (can use canned chicken or turkey)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 quart half and half, can use evaporated milk
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounce package gnocchi
- In a large stockpot, saute the onion, celery and garlic in the butter and olive oil.
- When the onion is clear, add the flour and form a roux.
- Stir and cook a minute. Add the half and half.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, cook the gnocchi.
- Add the carrots and chicken to the stockpot with the roux. Stir often.
- When it gets thicker, add the chicken broth, gnocchi, spinach and seasonings. Cover and heat through.
- Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 7-1/4-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Cerise (Cherry Red)
- Y YHY 30oz Porcelain Pasta/Salad/Soup Bowls, Large Serving Bowl Set, Wide & Flat, Set of 6, White
- Hamilton Beach 33969A 6-Quart Programmable Set & Forget w/Temperature Probe Slow Cooker Stainless Steel
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 526 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 111mg Sodium: 527mg Carbohydrates: 40g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 12g Protein: 21g