Fried Mozzarella sticks aren’t a new appetizer by any means, but when the cheese is coated with crunchy Panko bread crumbs and then fried up until the cheese is melted and the bread crumb coating is crispy, these fried Mozzarella sticks become anything but ordinary!
Mozzarella Sticks are easy – and way quicker than you thought.
What dive bar is complete without an offering of oozing cheese wrapped in breadcrumbs? I saw this recipe a while ago while cruising food sites and knew I had to try it. I love mozzarella sticks – especially the horrible ones they serve at the bowling ally. The problem was, when to make them? I’m always too busy! Talking myself into actually making the deep fried Mozzarella sticks was sort of hard. I’m totally glad that I did it… it was totally worth it.
And really, too busy? If I had know how quick and easy it was to make these, I would probably need to double my gym time…
Add this fried Mozzarella sticks recipe to the favorites tab or your favorite Pinterest board, because you’re going to love it.
If you’ve tried my Panko Coated Fried Mozzarella Sticks recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 16 pieces string cheese, removed from wrappers
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbs milk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbs dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- Canola oil, for frying
- Slice the string cheese in half.
- Place the flour in a small bowl.
- In another separate bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the parsley, salt, pepper and garlic, stir to combine.
- In a shallow dish, whisk the eggs with the milk to combine.
- One by one, dust the cheese in the flour, tapping the excess off.
- Dip the cheese in the egg mixture, covering completely.
- Roll the cheese in the panko crumb mixture.
- Gently remove and place on a baking sheet.
- Place the sheet in a freezer for 20 – 30 minutes to flash freeze sticks.
- Fill a medium saucepan with the canola oil until it reaches a height of about 1 inch. Heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- When hot, add the mozzarella sticks, 8 pieces at a time. Watch closely and turn over to evenly brown, cooking less than 2 minutes. Do not allow the cheese to bubble and leak.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 686Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 1441mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 38g
Nutrition information provided is an estimate from nutritionix.com. For specific health concerns, please put the recipe into your Dr recommended nutrition calculator.
What I did differently:
– Used fresh parsley instead of dried
– Used the Italian style panko bread crumbs (really, these kind of rock).
These fried mozzarella sticks were unexpectedly delicious. I really wish I hadn’t eaten lunch and was able to pig out on these instead, because they were that good. Even after they cooled down and weren’t all stringy, the flavors of the garlic and parsley really stood out.