It’s time to relive your childhood fantasy of ice cream for breakfast! This Cap’n Crunch Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is everything you hoped it would be!
I can remember early summer mornings where I would pour a bowl of Cap’n Crunch cereal and wish to myself that it was ice cream instead of milk in my bowl (not that we had tons of ice cream sitting around). I’ve never been a big breakfast person, but you pull out the bowls and spoons, and I am ready for ice cream.
That was my childhood fantasy, maybe it wasn’t yours. Though it you haven’t seen it, google “Bill Cosby cake for breakfast” it’s worth the few minutes to watch. If you did imagine the milk in your cereal magically turning to ice cream, than it’s time make it happen! This Cap’n Crunch Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is everything you hoped it would be!
Cereal Milk Ice Cream
Ice cream made with cereal milk is a big thing now. Even Ben & Jerry’s has a cereal milk flavor. I have tried a few different takes on it, and even made one out of Rice Crispy Treats that I soaked overnight in milk. I really want to make that again using these Red Velvet Krispy Treats.
Cap’n Crunch Ice Cream
Why choose Cap’n Crunch? It seemed simple to me. The cereal is sweet, but not over the top. It has a flavor that you will recognize. And the consistency of it after it has been in milk for a while is perfect for blending up into the cream base that I want for my cereal ice creams. And it was good. So good.
I think ice cream should be mandatory once a week all summer long. If you really want to throw down with your ice cream maker, check these out!
Spiked & Spicy Mexican Mocha Ice Cream Recipe
Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Roasted Strawberry Jam Swirl
Tagalong Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
If you’ve tried my Cap’n Crunch Chocolate Chip Ice Cream recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 1 1/2 cups Cap’n Crunch Cereal
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Place the Cap'n Crunch and milk in a resealable container (if you have individual blending cups for a blender, now would be the time to use one) in the fridge over night.
- In the morning, shake well.
- Plus cereal and milk in a blender until smooth.
- Combine 1/4 cup cream and cornstarch in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside for later.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the remaining cream, sugar, malted milk, syrup and salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the slurry, then mix in the cereal mixture.
- Bring back to a boil and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese to a large bowl and carefully pour a bit of the hot milk mixture over it.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Carefully whisk in the remaining milk mixture.
- Place the bowl over another filled with ice to cool the mixture down.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly over the surface, and place in fridge to cool completely, 4 to 6 hours.
- When cooled, processes in ice cream mixer according to manufacture's directions. Now, here's where I had a bit of a problem. This thickened quickly, and caused my ice cream maker to grind a bit if I tried to add the cold cream mixture while the mixer was churning to slowly. Careful, as too quickly could send cold cream everywhere, and too slow caused a sound that made me cringe and freak out a bit for my cherry red baby.
- When the mixture has almost set, add chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a freezer safe resealable container and freeze over night.
- Serve with spoons and a sprinkle of fresh Capt'n Crunch on top!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 42gProtein: 5g