It's time to relive your childhood fantasy of ice cream for breakfast! This Cap'n Crunch Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is everything you hoped it would be!
I can remember early summer mornings where I would pour a bowl of Cap'n Crunch cereal and wish to myself that it was ice cream instead of milk in my bowl (not that we had tons of ice cream sitting around). I've never been a big breakfast person, but you pull out the bowls and spoons, and I am ready for ice cream.
That was my childhood fantasy, maybe it wasn't yours. Though it you haven't seen it, google "Bill Cosby cake for breakfast" it's worth the few minutes to watch. If you did imagine the milk in your cereal magically turning to ice cream, than it's time make it happen! This Cap'n Crunch Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is everything you hoped it would be!
Cereal Milk Ice Cream
Ice cream made with cereal milk is a big thing now. Even Ben & Jerry's has a cereal milk flavor. I have tried a few different takes on it, and even made one out of Rice Crispy Treats that I soaked overnight in milk. I really want to make that again using these Red Velvet Krispy Treats.
Cap'n Crunch Ice Cream
Why choose Cap'n Crunch? It seemed simple to me. The cereal is sweet, but not over the top. It has a flavor that you will recognize. And the consistency of it after it has been in milk for a while is perfect for blending up into the cream base that I want for my cereal ice creams. And it was good. So good.
I think ice cream should be mandatory once a week all summer long. If you really want to throw down with your ice cream maker, check these out!
Spiked & Spicy Mexican Mocha Ice Cream Recipe
Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Roasted Strawberry Jam Swirl
Tagalong Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
If you’ve tried my Cap'n Crunch Chocolate Chip Ice Cream recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Cap'n Crunch Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 ½ cups Cap’n Crunch Cereal
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream - divided
- 4 teaspoon cornstarch
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon cream cheese - softened
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Place the Cap'n Crunch and milk in a resealable container (if you have individual blending cups for a blender, now would be the time to use one) in the fridge over night.
- In the morning, shake well.
- Plus cereal and milk in a blender until smooth.
- Combine ¼ cup cream and cornstarch in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside for later.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk together the remaining cream, sugar, malted milk, syrup and salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the slurry, then mix in the cereal mixture.
- Bring back to a boil and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese to a large bowl and carefully pour a bit of the hot milk mixture over it.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Carefully whisk in the remaining milk mixture.
- Place the bowl over another filled with ice to cool the mixture down.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly over the surface, and place in fridge to cool completely, 4 to 6 hours.
- When cooled, processes in ice cream mixer according to manufacture's directions. Now, here's where I had a bit of a problem. This thickened quickly, and caused my ice cream maker to grind a bit if I tried to add the cold cream mixture while the mixer was churning to slowly. Careful, as too quickly could send cold cream everywhere, and too slow caused a sound that made me cringe and freak out a bit for my cherry red baby.
- When the mixture has almost set, add chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a freezer safe resealable container and freeze over night.
- Serve with spoons and a sprinkle of fresh Capt'n Crunch on top!
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!
Jen @JuanitasCocina says
When we were younger, my dad would sometimes give us a scoop of ice cream in our cereal. This is SO much better.
Your things you have learned totally made me smile! Great way to start the morning!
Also, this giant bowl of ice cream/cereal would be and even better way to start the morning! I love that not only is there cereal in the ice cream, but for the photos you actually put the ice cream on top of the cereal! Yes, please. I want it all!
Ha ha!! Underbritches...too funny. And I guess if coffee makes my pee smell then I need to start getting the coconut creme flavored creamer LOL...Then it would smell so tropical. Ok, TMI. But this ice cream has got my head spinning!! I want a HUGE bowl please!
The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time says
I don't know. It may be built in, but the thought of sweating as much as I do when I exercise and having nothing between me and shorts that the whole world can see? Nah, not going there. And, keeping along the same line, yeah, I have noticed that my pee smells....odd after coffee, especially with how strong I like mine. Sometimes it reminds me of Cheerios (ok, now I hope no one reads this...ever).
Sooooo, Cap'n Crunch, favorite cereal ever. Turning it into ice cream is genius.
Renee @ Tortillas and Honey says
Never noticed the coffee thing until my brother told me, haha. This recipe is so creative and looks absolutely delicious! This is one of my favorite cereals and I love seeing it in ice cream form!
Hey, I didn't know that you aren't supposed to wear undies under riding gear either ... Now I know! Btw,Capt'n Crunch Ice Cream is Genius!
Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes says
Oh no you didn't!
Oh YES you did!
I ADORE Cap'n Crunch and LOVE the idea that you mixed it up with ice cream. Fantastic!!
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
I adored the peanut butter cap'n crunch growing up! Might have to make this with that cereal.
Li @ Words and Cake says
This is genius! I loved cap'n crunch growing up, and not ashamed to say I still do.
It still freaks me out a little every time my pee smells after I eat asparagus. It's like somehow I forgot in between eating it every time 🙂 Anyway, I am totally in love with this ice cream! I haven't had cap'n crunch in way, way too long...
Lauren at Keep It Sweet says
Ah I am about to turn 29, how scary! Life is expensive but you are worth the investment in yourself!!
Now pass the ice cream:-)
Jennie @themessybakerblog says
This is some serious ice cream. I gotta have it! Shelf bras stink. I always look for the shirts without them and wear a sports bra. Wearing no undies even though there are built in undies...still weird.
Dionne Baldwin says
Oh GREAT! That's all I need. Another thing to do with Captn Crunch! I love that stuff. And you crack me up. I think as far as sports gear and exercise clothes, they should come with instructions. Truly.
Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
Epic. That's what this is. And can I just say that I spit out my coffee reading "underbritches."
Oh wow this looks good. I"m so glad I'm not stoned now.
natalie @ wee eats says
capn crunch will also make your pee smell funny, but not as bad as waffle crisp... or asparagus... 😉
CAPN CRUNCH ICE CREAM!? YES PLEASE
Nutmeg Nanny says
I love bits of randomness almost as much as I love cap'n crunch. Seriously, it's the best cereal and this looks fantastic!