Grilled Corn Chowder, The perfect recipe for a dreary summer day.
I had a rant about #sharkweek, a rant about the weather, and a rant about the bookshelf I purchased and finally assembled that I think just doesn't fit in... I am not sure I can return it. Oh noes.
But then I finished a great novel last night, The Alloy of Law, and am spiraling down a deep dark nerdy path this morning looking up new books by favorite authors and watching fan made trailers. Which I didn't know existed until twenty five minutes ago. Some were ok (and kind of have me craving a not craptastic Zac Snyder stylized version of a fantasy movie with a Peter Jackson budget), others were just spliced movies, lame. But until this morning, I was pretty sure YouTube was just for people trying to get on Tosh.O and cats (especially this cat, who I'm currently obsessing over). Then it went further into i09 articles about what certain favorite characters could do and so on and so forth. Oh man I am hard core waving that nerd flag this morning.
But it seems perfect for a dreary day (in the middle. of. summer.) and a big bowl of this fresh sweet corn chowder.
And I run a comic shop, so it was bound to get nerdy up in here at some point right? If you are looking for some not girly, good old fashioned reading check out the Mistborn trilogy from Brandon Sanderson, The Wake from Scott Snyder, Hawkguy (still awesome) from Matt Fraction, and In the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. All of which I am anxiously awaiting new issues/volumes. Any day now guys, I know you're not busy.
There isn't anything quite like a chowder to warm you up. Try these out (I know, I might be addicted to varieties of corn chowder) next time the rain comes.
Chile and Corn Chowder
Thai Corn Chowder
Smoked Salmon Chowder Recipe
If you’ve tried my Grilled Corn Chowder recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Grilled Corn Chowder
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn - husked and silks removed
- 1 poblano pepper - halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1 medium-large potato - peeled and chopped into ½" cubes
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 ½ cups half and half or milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Place the corn and pepper halves, cut sides down, on the grill and and cook for 12 - 16 minutes, turning occasionally, until the pepper is charred and the corn is tender.
- Remove from grill. Wrap pepper in aluminium foil and set aside.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, remove the kernels from the cobs. Remove the pepper from the foil and peel back the skin. Chop and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, coat the pan with the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and cook 30 seconds longer. Your house will smell amazing.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups of the grilled corn kernels and add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the flour and half and half. Whisk until smooth.
- Gently pour into the corn soup mixture. Cook until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Alternatively, process in batches in a blender carefully.
- Top with remaining corn and pepper before serving.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!