Chai Pumpkin Spice Thumbprints

Oh boy, have I been holding out on you. Pause, now re-read that last sentence with a liiittle more enthusiasm. Because I’m not lying and the moment I saw these Pumpkin Spice Kisses, I just had to have them. (Then I got them home and had to figure out what to make with them).

After a little debate, my answer was to plop those suckers down into the middle of a chai flavored thumbprint cookie. Inspired by those delicious chai cupcakes last year, and some of the ingredients from that recent chai pie, I knew these would come together nicely.

And come together nicely they did.

Chai Pumpkin Spice Thumbprints

Chai Pumpkin Spice Thumbprints

Ingredients

Preparation

Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer and cream at medium speed until fluffy, or with a hand mixer, for about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg, chai concentrate, and the vanilla, mix until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl as necessary. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Using your hands, roll the dough into 22 to 24 1 inch round balls. Place the dough balls on parchment paper lined baking sheets and sprinkle chai spice mix lightly over cookies.

Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, unwrap kisses.

Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately place pumpkin kisses in the center of each cookie. Don’t touch or the kisses will turn into puddles! Cool completely.

Adapted From

So mix up the classic pumpkin pie at your Thanksgiving feast this year and throw these bad boys on the table instead.

In the mean time, check out the other inspiration from the rest of the gang participating in the Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies – then panic because we are only five more weeks out until the big day.

Comments

I was in a frenzy to find these and when I did, like you, I had to pause and think of a special way to use them. I chose a pumpkin pie-spiced chocolate cookie as my base, but I like the way you think. Mmmm… chai. I bet these are phenomenal!

Oh I had nearly forgotten about chai and you made a cookie out of it! With pumpkin kisses! I didn’t even see these, but then again I haven’t been in the candy section much lately. :( You are incredibly creative, my dear!

You had me at chai and pumpkin! I still have not had those kisses. Does the outside taste like white-chocolate? I have an aversion to white chocolate and despite my love for all things pumpkin, I have been avoiding those kisses because I know that orange chocolate is actually white chocolate in disguise. But, if the inside overpowers the chocolate, I think I could enjoy them! Ok…you must think I am a total weirdo now…

these look adorable. I love kisses cookies.

you should live closer. That would be soooo great. Then I could run over and get a cookie from you. brilliant!

Sorry, but I’m a little confused: do you use the whole egg or just the yolk? The instructions sound like you use more than one egg yolk, but there’s only one egg in the ingredient list.

6. Blake says

I want to make these so bad, they look incredible! But I can’t find the pumpkin spice kisses anywhere :( I’ve looked at Target and Walmart so far with no luck. I saw them on Amazon but I’d rather not have to order them online.. If you have any idea of where I could buy them, I’d really appreciate it!

7. adam says

I have a question! when you say chai spice mix, what exactly is that? ive never heard of that before, ive heard of the tea obviously, but what is it, and where can i find it?? i didnt see anything called chai spice mix at my local grocery store
    Thanx!

I made these tonight and, honestly, I was a little disappointed. I double-checked my ingredients and had done everything correctly, as far as I can tell, but the cookies seemed very bland in flavor and the texture was a bit dense. I had high hopes because the flavors sounded so good together -sparked some inspiration in the kitchen! May go back and try to mess with the recipe a little bit.

9. Ali says

Hi there! I love this recipe and am so excited to try it, but I have a question about the chai concentrate? Amazon has both Oregon Chai and Tazo Chair concentrate for about the same price. Did you choose Oregon for a taste factor? I’ve never had it before, so I’m curious if there’s a noticeable difference in its quality. Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe!

I’ll be honest with you, I chose Oregon because it was the first one I cam across. I had never used it before this and the chai pie that I posted last year. I wish I had something more insightful for you! :/

10. Janice Karwowski Robichaud says

since last year I have been trying to find where to get these Pumpkin Kisses…ant help in Michigan?

11. jared says

do you use liquid chai concentrate or the powdered version? i’ve made cookies with the powdered (such as general mills international), but i get the impression that you use a liquid form. please advise.
    (ps i tried to find the answer in the comments, but to no avail. perhaps i just missed it)

12. liz says

hi, i came across your recipe and really want to make these. i have a problem though. i am unable to find chai concentrate where i live. do you think it could be substituted with cinnamon extract or something of that sort? thanks!

13. Jenney B says

I was so excited for these cookies, but was really disappointed. They are really bland. I even added the chai spice mix to the cookie dough on top of sprinkling it. The only real stand out taste is the baking soda. It’s a brilliant idea though. *I should mention I couldn’t find the kisses so this is my take on the dough only. I was hoping for a bigger chair taste. maybe it all comes together when you add the super sweetness of the kisses

14. Tara says

Delicious! After reading soe comments, I added the following….1/4cup vanilla flavored Greek yogurt with the butter/sugar, and with the dry ingredients I added 1 packet instant vanilla chai mix.

15. Debbie says

I found the Pumpkin Spice Kisses at Target yesterday. I went there specifically to look for these and almost missed them! I thought they would be back with the seasonal candy, but found them on an endcap at the registers. I bought 6 bags!!!! But I have a good excuse…I plan on making these for my Christmas boxes that I do every year (and I may need to keep a bag or 2 for me :) )

I noticed someone mentioned they used a chocolate based chai cookie for theirs…..does anyone want to share that recipe?

Thanks!

1. […] but I don’t like chai. Since I know how much he loves it when my girlfriend told me about Chai Pumpkin Spice Thumbprint cookies I knew my husband would be over the moon if I made a cookie just for him. The recipe makes 2 dozen […]

2. […] It’s not a secret that I love the Fall {hands down, it’s my FAVORITE time of year}.  I also have a growing love for anything involving pumpkin, so when I found a recipe for Chai Pumpkin Spice Thumbprints on Pinterest, I couldn’t wait to try it.  Unfortunately, the original recipe tasted like an over-glorified sugar cookie, which is fine if you like sugar cookies {…and I do!}, but I was expecting a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte cookie.  Well, I couldn’t just settle for this {especially because I was supposed to take these cookies to a toddler Halloween party}, so I changed things up and tried for round two.  Better, but I felt it still lacked that pumpkin flavor.  Round three was Thanksgiving Day and victory was mine!  Not a whole lot came home with me, so I think they were a hit.  This recipe also has a FABULOUS after-taste.  You won’t be disappointed!  {For original recipe, visit Pass The Sushi.} […]

3. […] I dont know if I can pick just one. I love making Paula Dean's Monster Cookies, oatmeal raisin, chai blossoms (altho I just use regular kisses), and of course you can't really go wrong with chocolate chip (I […]

4. […] Chai Pumpkin Spice Thumbprint Cookies. I don’t know about you, but thumbprint cookies are kind of EVERYTHING to me. They look really simple, and at the same time, like cookie-sized perfection. Plus, the Hershey’s pumpkin kiss makes it really easy to label this a Thanksgiving treat. (Are you noticing a big theme here with the candy additions?) […]