Pumpkin Latte Coffee Cake; soft, crumbly, and oh so good. A layer of cream cheese makes this one of the smoothest coffee cakes out there.
Normally, I test out one or two new recipes on friends at big holiday gatherings or social events, always forgetting the danger of that until I set the platters down and have my own private lack of Xanax induced freak out. Instead of prepping and testing some recipes all week for a little upcoming Thanksgiving feast, this year I have been (much like a whiny child) doing my civic duty and serving on jury duty all week, leaving me unable to cook or test any recipes between that and working. Oh no. So, we’re going to wing it and see how things go with an all new menu and never before tested recipes. Push comes to shove, I think there’s a can of tuna somewhere hidden in the back of my pantry.
Are you shaping your menu with family favorites or are you adding new things?
If you’ve tried this Pumpkin Latte Coffee Cake recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Looking for more pumpkin recipes? Try this Bread Pudding.
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp teas salt
- 1/2 cup cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cut into small cube
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside.
Make the Cream Cheese Mixture
- Whisk the eggs and the espresso powder in a bowl until combined.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy, about 30 second on medium high.
- Add the sugar and flour, scrape down the sides, and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides again.
- Add the egg mix and vanilla and beat for a minute longer until everything is combined. Spoon out into a bowl and set aside. Clean out your mixing bowl and paddle attachment and dry (consider asking Santa for an extra bowl) .
Make the Batter
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat the butter until creamy in the clean bowl of your stand mixer, about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the pumpkin and mix until just combined.
- Alternating between the flour mix and the buttermilk add the final ingredients in three additions, beating on low and mixing well.
Layer the Batters
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Spoon in half of the cream cheese mixture and try as best you can to even it out.
- Cover with the remaining batter and dollop the remaining cream cheese mixture on top. Swirl in cream cheese mixture with a butter knife (though don’t worry about aesthetics because you are going to be adding streusel topping.)
Make the streusel topping (this can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the fridge).
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, rolled ours, flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Using your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Sprinkle heavily over cake.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before slicing to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 542 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 128mg Sodium: 501mg Carbohydrates: 82g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 46g Protein: 9g