Banana Bread in a Mug

Single Serve Banana Bread in a Mug \\ PasstheSushi.com

For a few years I have seen recipes floating about for ‘mug cakes’ – where you mix the ingredients in a cup and plop it in the microwave. The idea is pretty neat, we just don’t do a whole lot of microwaved anything. I didn’t have one at my parents house, so I rarely think to use it now that one sits there taking up valuable counter space.

Handsome’s mom gave me a recipe for a chocolate mug cake a while ago and I meant to try it, but the paper got shuffled in with life and there went that. It wasn’t until I saw this recipe over at Vittles and Bits that I was reminded of wanting to give the whole baking in a microwave oven idea a try again. And this one was banana bread. Who doesn’t love banana bread? Ok, maybe unicorn hating commies, but everyone else, we love banana bread. Oh… and my boyfriend. He hates banana bread too. So, this small portion, quick fix banana bread looked like the perfect excuse to give the old microwave oven a try.

Single Serve Banana Bread in a Mug \\ PasstheSushi.com

• 1 egg
  • 1/4 teas vanilla extract
  • 1 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 tbs milk
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed

Preparation

Spray a microwave safe mug with cooking spray.

In a bowl, or right in the mug, whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add egg and combine until just incorporated with dry ingredients. Mix in vanilla, oil, milk and mashed banana.

Pop into the microwave for up to 3 minutes, with no fear to stop and check after 90 seconds for doneness.

Like all magical things that come out of the microwave, the inside of this will be hotter than the surface of the sun when you first remove it from the microwave. Give it a few minutes.

Seriously, that easy.

Adapted From

Single Serve Banana Bread in a Mug \\ PasstheSushi.com

This was not the best ever banana bread, and trust me, I know some banana bread. But it’s a great quick fix, I have an overly ripe banana on the counter that I could toss in the freezer or use right now kind of bread. Perfect for a single serving or to impress an unexpected guest.

Want More? Sign up for the FREE weekly email for every recipe and adventure from PtS plus sweet bonus content!

Join the fun on Instagram

Comments

1. ffdarlings says

Hello. Thank you for the recipe. I tried making it. It turned out ok. I didn’t have brown sugar so I substituted with white sugar so maybe that was the difference. Also, I think adding a bit of cinnamon would make the recipe better because it really just tasted like a hot banana.

2. Elena says

Hmm, I did 90 seconds, then 60, then 30, then 30, then 40. Still too moist. In total I did 4 minutes and 10 seconds. I think 4.30 or even 5 would have done it. Not sure what microwave I use, but other mug cakes take only a minute and a half. Guess it’s the banana that really affects the cooking time.

3. Anddddy says

That was absolutely amazing!! added copious amounts of chocolate and some honey instead of the white sugar!! worked great!! potentially the best and easiest banana bread i have ever had!

I make banana oatmeal, it takes a little longer to cook than the recipe above – I microwave it ‘slowly’ for 10 minutes on the very lowest setting and stir in the mashed banana at the end – but it tastes great with a little sprinkle of brown sugar. :)

Just tried this recipe! Love it, tastes great, mine was done in 90 seconds also! The hardest part for me was finding the ingredients scattered all around the kitchen, haha! Can’t wait to try this again when I get back to college. Thanks for sharing!

6. lazyteenager says

Banana bread!!! Awesome idea and a great (quick) fix before heading off to uni at crazy hours of the day ie. too early. Thank you :)

7. Alyssa says

Will try this without egg next time, but there certainly will be a next time! Frost with Nutella for an extra treat.
    I only microwaved it for 90 seconds, then 40, then 20. The bread kept rising from the mug like a monster from the deep and I needed to pause frequently so that it wouldn’t explode.

8. Yelo says

I just tried ths recipe and It is ok. Mine didn’t turn out to be bread, it was more of a dense bread pudding type of consistency. That was dissaponiting. I added less sugar as I don’t like very sweet foods. I added blueberries and a pinch of cinnamon. The blueberries were a great addition. Next time I will make it with a walnut streusel I think it needs texture. And maybe les time in the microwave.

9. Emily says

so I was rreallyyy craving something sweet late at night and the only thing I had was a much too overly ripe banana, so I searched this recipe up and was delighted!! problem was that I didnt have any baking powder or soda but no problem I did without anyways (yes I was that desperate). it turned out amazing! without the baking powder it was more like a wet banana bread pudding (in a gooood way) it was the bomb! I added some walnuts in the mixture as well and topped it off with a little chocholate spread I pinched off my housemate 😛

10. Aims says

Tried this, and isn’t very good… I think it could possibly use more flour, as the cake itself is very mushy and gel-textured even after cooking it for three minutes. (I’m pregnant and the consistency is getting to me…) This isn’t very banana bread like, but maybe baked pudding or something? Sorry, not a fan of this mug recipe!

11. haley says

i made this and it didnt work at all. it smelled wierd and barely even baked. it was practically goo in a mug and i put it in for an extra minute.

Hi Haley,

It totally stinks that the recipe didn’t work out for you. I know temps and power levels can very from microwave to microwave, but a whole minute longer and still no luck. :(

12. Cindy B says

I gave this recipe a try and couldn’t get it to look like the photo. How do you get the top nice and brown? Mine ended up looking spongy.

My texture was spongy – not bad – but definently not a warm cake like texute that I would get with a homemade banana bread. It was good – but certainly just a quick fix and not a full on cake.