Banana Bread in a Mug

For a few years I have seen recipes floating about for ‘mug cakes’ – where you mix the ingredients in a cup and plop it in the microwave. The idea is pretty neat, we just don’t do a whole lot of microwaved anything. I didn’t have one at my parents house, so I rarely think to use it now that one sits there taking up valuable counter space.

Handsome’s mom gave me a recipe for a chocolate mug cake a while ago and I meant to try it, but the paper got shuffled in with life and there went that. It wasn’t until I saw this recipe over at Vittles and Bits that I was reminded of wanting to give the whole baking in a microwave oven idea a try again. And this one was banana bread. Who doesn’t love banana bread? Ok, maybe unicorn hating commies, but everyone else, we love banana bread. Oh… and my boyfriend. He hates banana bread too. So, this small portion, quick fix banana bread looked like the perfect excuse to give the old microwave oven a try.

This was not the best ever banana bread, and trust me, I know some banana bread. But it’s a great quick fix, I have an overly ripe banana on the counter that I could toss in the freezer or use right now kind of bread. Perfect for a single serving or to impress an unexpected guest.

Comments

1. How adorable are these. I love mug cupcakes, and who can resist banana bread?

2. Such a fun idea!! Love this.

3. Love it! I’ve yet to try a mug cake.

4. I’m still trying to get the Athletic Shoe Shepherd’s Pie and Juice Box Creme Brulee to work. (The box keeps catching on fire).

you really can’t beat banana bread.. It loos great!.. and it’s in a CUP!

5. You have NO idea how happy I am to see this!!

6. I love a mug cake, but have never seen bread made in a mug! Deliiiicious.

7. Oooh I have a banana that is waiting to be used for this! Love it! So cute.

8. I love single servings treats – it’s portion control for those of us who are terrible at it alone. :) Great idea!

9. My hubby won’t eat banana bread either…what is it with these guys? So this is a perfect recipe for when I need that quick bread fix :)

10. That is just TOO much fun! Thank you for sharing it.

11. I have seen coffee cake and done chocolate cake, but this banana bread is a new one. I like it. Frankly, I think I completely under-utilize my microwave!

12. What a great idea! I have a couple bananas on the counter that would be perfect for this!

13. Great idea! I pinned it.

14. You just made my heart skip a beat. I’m doing it, and I’m doing it tonight!!

15. I haven’t tried my hand at a microwave mug cake yet but it’s probably only a matter of time. Saving this recipe for some evening when I’m in desperate need of a sweet treat.

16. I actually learned about mug cakes recently (maybe that tells I’m not much of a baker?), and have been wiling to give a try. You are right – there are great banana bread out there and cooking in a mug may not be the perfect result…but when I crave for banana bread any time of the day, I think this is a great recipe to go to, or if I only have a single banana left…. :-) Thank you for the recipe, Kita!

17. I’m so excited with this! I can’t tell you how much … will jumping up and down do?
    Single serve, microwave, easy …. magic!

18. Oh lawdy. This looks amazing.

19. I haven’t tried this yet, but definitely enjoying the banana bread version idea the most so far.

20. Kita, this is pure genius, I love it!

21. This is a great idea for a new mug treat! Love banana bread, but I always eat too much so this is a better option!

22. Mmmm, sounds tasty. I love banana bread. I think I’ll try this and add a few chocolate chips to the mix. And maybe peanut butter. And sprinkles.

23. Holy crap I have to make this for my sweet toothed boyfriend. He’s love me forever then beg me to tell him how to do it so he could have more when I wasn’t there. So I’ll never tell him hahaha :)

24. Mug cakes are never the same as the real deal but you just cannot beat the instant gratification of a quick dessert.

25. This just looks fun to try out. I’m going to have to give it a whirl. ;)

26. So glad you liked it, Kita! Definitely a good quick fix :)

27. Thanks for the idea-I made one and was pleasantly surprised!

28. made some adjustments: used quinoa flour. added nutmeg and used applesauce instead of oil.

29. Freaking amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I added a handful of chocolate chips to the batter, and spooned some homemade caramel sauce over the top when it came out of the microwave. It’s WAY to easy to be this delicious!

30. Great idea!!! Loved it! I added a little cinnamon & it tastes just like my banana pancakes. I might just makes these at work, slice them up & add syrup. Very yummy!

31. i made this right now, and it didn’t turn out good. It was very eggy and too moist. It didn’t taste great either. but good idea!

32. Bethany S. says:

You do NOT need an EGG!! Banana acts like an egg in quick bread recipes. My full-size banana bread recipe doesn’t even call for an egg. Eliminate the egg and this will be perfect. I sprinkled mine with cinnamon and sugar before microwaving, and also used a bigger “mug” (gravy boat).

33. OMG I just made this and OMG…. great great great! genius!

34. It looks so easy to do and delicious

35. Chelsea Stone says:

I made this, it rose out of the mug I used by about 5″, it did eventually sink back down. It was VERY spongy and chewy. Not to bad as far as taste though, if I made it again I would eliminate the egg and I would definitely use some nutmeg.

36. This is good, but add more banana, take out the egg and add cinamon or nutmeg or something as it is quite bland otherwise, but nice for a first try at it. x

37. Ease of baking says:

I tried this recipe, and it came out real tasty but super chewy. No bread texture. But that could probably be because I substituted spiked egg nog for the milk. It was supremely tasty, though! Sprinkled some cinnamon and sat back to enjoy. Kind of enjoyed me of this asian delicacy because of its texture. You should try the substitution! Don’t use an egg or vanilla or milk. Just add the equivalent in spiked egg nog. DEEEELICIOUS.

38. Amanda P. says:

I just made this and it turned out great. I added 2 tbsp of milk chocolate chips cos I love the combination of banana and chocolate. It had great texture and the perfect amount of sweetness. Beware, it is ridiculously hot and needs to be cooled for a bit. I ate it with a glass of cold milk. Next time, I would divide it between two mugs as the one serving was quite filling.

39. Lunexe says:

Awesome Made my day…….i made one for the whole fam!

40. ffdarlings says:

Hello. Thank you for the recipe. I tried making it. It turned out ok. I didn’t have brown sugar so I substituted with white sugar so maybe that was the difference. Also, I think adding a bit of cinnamon would make the recipe better because it really just tasted like a hot banana.

41. Hmm, I did 90 seconds, then 60, then 30, then 30, then 40. Still too moist. In total I did 4 minutes and 10 seconds. I think 4.30 or even 5 would have done it. Not sure what microwave I use, but other mug cakes take only a minute and a half. Guess it’s the banana that really affects the cooking time.

42. smalltowngirl says:

This tastes AMAZING!!! Thanks so much for sharing :)

43. Anddddy says:

That was absolutely amazing!! added copious amounts of chocolate and some honey instead of the white sugar!! worked great!! potentially the best and easiest banana bread i have ever had!

44. charlie says:

Tasted terrible! Lesson learned, never make bread in a microwave

45. I make banana oatmeal, it takes a little longer to cook than the recipe above – I microwave it ‘slowly’ for 10 minutes on the very lowest setting and stir in the mashed banana at the end – but it tastes great with a little sprinkle of brown sugar. :)

46. Just tried this recipe! Love it, tastes great, mine was done in 90 seconds also! The hardest part for me was finding the ingredients scattered all around the kitchen, haha! Can’t wait to try this again when I get back to college. Thanks for sharing!

47. lazyteenager says:

Banana bread!!! Awesome idea and a great (quick) fix before heading off to uni at crazy hours of the day ie. too early. Thank you :)

48. Will try this without egg next time, but there certainly will be a next time! Frost with Nutella for an extra treat.
    I only microwaved it for 90 seconds, then 40, then 20. The bread kept rising from the mug like a monster from the deep and I needed to pause frequently so that it wouldn’t explode.

49. I just tried ths recipe and It is ok. Mine didn’t turn out to be bread, it was more of a dense bread pudding type of consistency. That was dissaponiting. I added less sugar as I don’t like very sweet foods. I added blueberries and a pinch of cinnamon. The blueberries were a great addition. Next time I will make it with a walnut streusel I think it needs texture. And maybe les time in the microwave.

50. Added a little bit of cinnamon and used whole wheat flour. Absolutely delicious, and aromatic to boot.

1. [...] Banana Bread in a Mug -In Fiji just use the brown sugar no need to buy white [...]

2. [...] Source and recipe: passthesushi.com [...]

3. [...] The catch is that one cannot use twice as much baking soda, like I did. You’ll notice that the bread is excessively spongy and has a bit of a…muffin top. Bahahaha. Sorry — is February too soon to begin making weight jokes? Maybe next month. Anyway, even with it’s expansive results, the bread was deliciously good. If you’d like to give this top-secret, incredible recipe a try (and amaze your guests with your domestic cooking skills!), you can find the instructions here. [...]

4. [...] Day 3 of my 7-Day Microwave Mug Challenge! Today we are having Bannana Bread! Check out the original recipe here. [...]