Banana Bread in a Mug

For a few years I have seen recipes floating about for ‘mug cakes’ – where you mix the ingredients in a cup and plop it in the microwave. The idea is pretty neat, we just don’t do a whole lot of microwaved anything. I didn’t have one at my parents house, so I rarely think to use it now that one sits there taking up valuable counter space.

Handsome’s mom gave me a recipe for a chocolate mug cake a while ago and I meant to try it, but the paper got shuffled in with life and there went that. It wasn’t until I saw this recipe over at Vittles and Bits that I was reminded of wanting to give the whole baking in a microwave oven idea a try again. And this one was banana bread. Who doesn’t love banana bread? Ok, maybe unicorn hating commies, but everyone else, we love banana bread. Oh… and my boyfriend. He hates banana bread too. So, this small portion, quick fix banana bread looked like the perfect excuse to give the old microwave oven a try.

This was not the best ever banana bread, and trust me, I know some banana bread. But it’s a great quick fix, I have an overly ripe banana on the counter that I could toss in the freezer or use right now kind of bread. Perfect for a single serving or to impress an unexpected guest.

Comments

I’m still trying to get the Athletic Shoe Shepherd’s Pie and Juice Box Creme Brulee to work. (The box keeps catching on fire).

you really can’t beat banana bread.. It loos great!.. and it’s in a CUP!

My hubby won’t eat banana bread either…what is it with these guys? So this is a perfect recipe for when I need that quick bread fix :)

I have seen coffee cake and done chocolate cake, but this banana bread is a new one. I like it. Frankly, I think I completely under-utilize my microwave!

I actually learned about mug cakes recently (maybe that tells I’m not much of a baker?), and have been wiling to give a try. You are right – there are great banana bread out there and cooking in a mug may not be the perfect result…but when I crave for banana bread any time of the day, I think this is a great recipe to go to, or if I only have a single banana left…. :-) Thank you for the recipe, Kita!

I’m so excited with this! I can’t tell you how much … will jumping up and down do?
    Single serve, microwave, easy …. magic!

6. Christina says

Freaking amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I added a handful of chocolate chips to the batter, and spooned some homemade caramel sauce over the top when it came out of the microwave. It’s WAY to easy to be this delicious!

7. CWoods says

Great idea!!! Loved it! I added a little cinnamon & it tastes just like my banana pancakes. I might just makes these at work, slice them up & add syrup. Very yummy!

8. moxtox says

i made this right now, and it didn’t turn out good. It was very eggy and too moist. It didn’t taste great either. but good idea!

9. Bethany S. says

You do NOT need an EGG!! Banana acts like an egg in quick bread recipes. My full-size banana bread recipe doesn’t even call for an egg. Eliminate the egg and this will be perfect. I sprinkled mine with cinnamon and sugar before microwaving, and also used a bigger “mug” (gravy boat).

10. Chelsea Stone says

I made this, it rose out of the mug I used by about 5″, it did eventually sink back down. It was VERY spongy and chewy. Not to bad as far as taste though, if I made it again I would eliminate the egg and I would definitely use some nutmeg.

11. Amelia says

This is good, but add more banana, take out the egg and add cinamon or nutmeg or something as it is quite bland otherwise, but nice for a first try at it. x

12. Ease of baking says

I tried this recipe, and it came out real tasty but super chewy. No bread texture. But that could probably be because I substituted spiked egg nog for the milk. It was supremely tasty, though! Sprinkled some cinnamon and sat back to enjoy. Kind of enjoyed me of this asian delicacy because of its texture. You should try the substitution! Don’t use an egg or vanilla or milk. Just add the equivalent in spiked egg nog. DEEEELICIOUS.

13. Amanda P. says

I just made this and it turned out great. I added 2 tbsp of milk chocolate chips cos I love the combination of banana and chocolate. It had great texture and the perfect amount of sweetness. Beware, it is ridiculously hot and needs to be cooled for a bit. I ate it with a glass of cold milk. Next time, I would divide it between two mugs as the one serving was quite filling.

14. ffdarlings says

Hello. Thank you for the recipe. I tried making it. It turned out ok. I didn’t have brown sugar so I substituted with white sugar so maybe that was the difference. Also, I think adding a bit of cinnamon would make the recipe better because it really just tasted like a hot banana.

15. Elena says

Hmm, I did 90 seconds, then 60, then 30, then 30, then 40. Still too moist. In total I did 4 minutes and 10 seconds. I think 4.30 or even 5 would have done it. Not sure what microwave I use, but other mug cakes take only a minute and a half. Guess it’s the banana that really affects the cooking time.

16. Anddddy says

That was absolutely amazing!! added copious amounts of chocolate and some honey instead of the white sugar!! worked great!! potentially the best and easiest banana bread i have ever had!

I make banana oatmeal, it takes a little longer to cook than the recipe above – I microwave it ‘slowly’ for 10 minutes on the very lowest setting and stir in the mashed banana at the end – but it tastes great with a little sprinkle of brown sugar. :)

Just tried this recipe! Love it, tastes great, mine was done in 90 seconds also! The hardest part for me was finding the ingredients scattered all around the kitchen, haha! Can’t wait to try this again when I get back to college. Thanks for sharing!

19. lazyteenager says

Banana bread!!! Awesome idea and a great (quick) fix before heading off to uni at crazy hours of the day ie. too early. Thank you :)

20. Alyssa says

Will try this without egg next time, but there certainly will be a next time! Frost with Nutella for an extra treat.
    I only microwaved it for 90 seconds, then 40, then 20. The bread kept rising from the mug like a monster from the deep and I needed to pause frequently so that it wouldn’t explode.

21. Yelo says

I just tried ths recipe and It is ok. Mine didn’t turn out to be bread, it was more of a dense bread pudding type of consistency. That was dissaponiting. I added less sugar as I don’t like very sweet foods. I added blueberries and a pinch of cinnamon. The blueberries were a great addition. Next time I will make it with a walnut streusel I think it needs texture. And maybe les time in the microwave.

1. […] The catch is that one cannot use twice as much baking soda, like I did. You’ll notice that the bread is excessively spongy and has a bit of a…muffin top. Bahahaha. Sorry — is February too soon to begin making weight jokes? Maybe next month. Anyway, even with it’s expansive results, the bread was deliciously good. If you’d like to give this top-secret, incredible recipe a try (and amaze your guests with your domestic cooking skills!), you can find the instructions here. […]