Spicy Taco Mac and Cheese, for those days when you want something hearty, but also, Tacos. (Ok, that might be everyday)
Spicy Taco Mac and Cheese
Tacos just might be my favorite thing ever. Any chance I get to make something that includes the flavors of a taco into the recipe, I'm all over it. Try these to satisfy your outside the blue box taco cravings!
Quick Dinner Fixins: Taco Salad
Super Simple Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Personal Grilled Taco Pizzas
If you’ve tried my Spicy Taco Mac and Cheese recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Spicy Taco Mac and Cheese
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- 4 slices wheat bread cut into ½-inch squares
- 1 tbs unsalted butter
- 8 oz Cheddar cheese - shredded
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese - shredded
- 2 cups elbow pasta - cooked to just under al dente, rinsed and set aside
- 1 lbs ground beef - cooked (drained of fat if needed) and seasoned with taco spices of choice
- 2 teaspoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 egg - beaten
- ¼ cup Vidalia or sweet onion - minced
- 2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- Melt the butter for the croutons in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bread and toast 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Season with salt, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 x 13? baking dish.
- Toss the cooked pasta in a large bowl with ⅔ of the shredded cheese.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, red pepper flakes, mustard, nutmeg. Add the sour cream, egg, onion, Tabasco, cream, and half and half. Stir well to combine. Pray for your arteries 😉
- Pour the mixture over the pasta and toss to coat.
- Transfer half of the pasta to the prepared baking dish.
- Add the cooked and seasoned ground beef in a single layer, spreading evenly with the back of your spoon.
- Layer the remaining pasta and sauce over the beef and top with the remaining cheese. (If you’re really feeling bold and daring, sprinkle a little smoked paprika on top).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cheese on top is beginning to brown and everything is starting to bubble. Sprinkle your home made croutons on top and bake for another 10 minutes until everything is nice and golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- *Omit the ground beef if you just want a killer side. Leave it in and you’ve got an all in one meal – sprinkle a little lettuce on the side and we can even call it balanced (no, not really). 😉
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
Oh I like how you made it a taco mac and cheese. I thought about adding chicken and bell pepper to mine, but I was in a hurry last night making it.
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
I'm all over this! It looks lovely!
Renee @ Tortillas and Honey says
This looks amazing! I love that you added taco meat, it adds another layer of yummy flavor! The recipes this month all look great!
Heck yes!! This is KILLER! Love it!
Great dish Kita, my man would be loving this and so would my son so I must try it this way too. You are so right about the tailored tv personalities kind want to gag at some of them. Sonny def. stuck to her guns with her down home food here, I want to make all the recipes now.
Emily @ Life on Food says
I loved this mac and cheese recipe. The flavor and the method! I seriously want this cookbook now.
This sounds SO hearty and delicious!
Looks yummy! I like the additon of the meat, I may have to do that next time! Now I am off to run 12 miles to make up for the plate that I already ate! 🙂
Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes says
Holy cannizzle does this mac sound good! The idea of putting whole wheat croutons on top is intriguing, but I love Sunny so I'm buying whatever she's selling. Looks lovely, Kita!
Zainab @ Blahnik Baker says
This is so amazing!! I love that you added meat and more seasoning to yours. Would love to try this!!
Candace @ Cabot says
Mac and cheese, Mexican style? Count us in! Can't wait to share this one with our Facebook friends! PS Unbelievably beautiful images!
hey Candace! Check out this one I made this week too - it was fun 🙂 https://girlcarnivore.com/fiesta-alfredo-bake/
Nutmeg Nanny says
Oh this looks delicious!! What a fantastic idea for a recipe, I can't wait to taste it!