Cornmeal Waffles are absolutely delectable. But the Honey butter I whipped up made these especially good. You won’t be disappointed.
It’s hard to be grumpy while staring down a fresh pile of warm waffles slathered in butter and dripping with syrup. Actually, it may be down right impossible. So, if you have less than lovely morning birds ignoring the alarm, wake them up with the sweet smell of these deliciously crispy cornmeal buttermilk waffles to sooth the sloth away. And if you really want to seal the deal, toss some bacon onto the pile and mention that the quantity is limited. That’s before you even hint at the amazing honey butter you whipped up just for the day.
How Do you make Honey Butter?
This is so easy as to be shocking. Butter, honey and lemon juice are all you need, but I find the addition of a little cinnamon to be vital.
Now, if you’re cruel like me, you will then make those not-so-early birds play the very important role of syrup pourer in which they have to stand by patiently applying the syrup to said amazing buttermilk waffles without digging right in 😉 Let that honey butter melt, baby. Let it melt.
Awkward, no? Melting butter comment gone too far? Meh, roll with it.
If you’ve tried my Buttermilk Cornmeal Waffles recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
There is nothing like hot waffles covered in butter and syrup in the morning. Try these out for a little variety!
Spiked Eggnog Belgian Waffles with Warmed Boozy Syrup
Apple Pie Waffles
Belgian-Style Yeast Waffles
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Make the Honey Butter:
- Whisk the 1/2 cup diced butter with the lemon juice, honey, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate if making ahead. Let soften a bit at room temp when ready to use.
Make the Waffles
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs gently in another large bowl. Add the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Pour into the flour mixture and whisk briskly until just moistened. Batter should have lumps.
- Spoon batter into waffle iron and bake according to directions until crispy.
- Serve with honey butter and syrup.
BHG Special Interest Magazine Breakfast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Saturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 444mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 9g