Apple bread with a rich caramel glaze. It just shouts the flavors of Fall, doesn’t it? It gets better, though. Wait until you taste this caramel-glazed apple bread! A moist quick bread with chunky bits of apple stuffed inside, finished off with sweet caramel. That’s what I’m talkin’ about!
Why Apple Bread During Pumpkin Season?
Mr. Store Manager: If pumpkin is a seasonal thing, and you have had Halloween candy out for 3 weeks, what the heck are you waiting for?
I was told pumpkin is a seasonal item and the local grocery store will be receiving it closer to the season. The store is currently decorated with hay bales and fake pumpkins everywhere. Not to mention the 3 aisles devoted to ‘fall’ themed house stuff, like pumpkin shaped cake pans, pumpkin printed table linens, and pumpkin scented candles…. >.>
No one could tell me what season exactly that they would be getting the pumpkin though. Made me giggle.
Lucky for me I wasn’t planning on using the pumpkin today – just wanted to start stocking up. I was really after using up some apples for this apple bread.
Caramel Glazed Apple Bread
I planned on just using the caramel-glaze from this recipe on another bread but then decided to make the whole thing. The batter tasted delicious. That’s always a sure sign that the finished product will be just as tasty.
I don’t know about you, but the smell of quick breads baking away in the oven is pretty magical to me. Banana, Pumpkin, Zucchini, Apple, you name it. Once you smell that, you know it is going to be a good day. They are easy to make, and can double as breakfast or dessert.
Apples are great for these recipes, and pretty easy to work with. If you stand a box grater in a shallow bowl, you can have both apples shredded in a minute or two. The apple shreds will cook down in the oven and while your batter may look a little stringy, the final product will not.
Clearly, I went overboard apple picking, so I just might be sending batches of this bread off to everyone I know 😉
Let me know what you think of this apple bread recipe!
If you’ve tried my Caramel-Glazed Apple Bread recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded peeled baking apples (2 large)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
For The Bread
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 (8×4-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray or shortening.
- In large bowl, stir together apples, 1 cup brown sugar, the buttermilk, oil and eggs. Stir in remaining bread ingredients just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into pans.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on cooling rack. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top sides up on cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
For The Glaze
- In 1-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat to low. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling; remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, about 30 minutes.
- Gradually stir powdered sugar into glaze mixture. Place saucepan of glaze in bowl of cold water. Beat with spoon until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. If glaze becomes too stiff, stir in additional milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, or heat over low heat, stirring constantly. Drizzle glaze over loaves. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
Betty Crocker, cuz she knows what guys want.
Do they still use that slogan?
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 387mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
I had to include this picture because Marble (the dog) is in the background and I didn’t realize it until I went to post the picture. it had be cracked up.
I would like to say a huge thank you to all of my buddies leaving comments lately. It really does make my day when I get feedback on the recipes, topics and site in general. I cry myself to sleep at night on the days that there is no Internet love. Ok, it’s no where near that bad, but I do smile every time I get a comment. Heck, I smile because I get spam. I figure it means I’m doing something right. 😉
So thank you everyone! I really appreciate it!