Caramel-Glazed Apple Bread

If pumpkin is a seasonal thing, and you have had Halloween candy out for 3 weeks, what the heck are you waiting for? I was told pumpkin is a seasonal item and the local grocery store will be receiving it closer to the season. The store is currently decorated with hay bales and fake pumpkins everywhere. Not to mention the 3 aisles devoted to ‘fall’ themed house stuff, like pumpkin shaped cake pans, pumpkin printed table linens, and pumpkin scented candles…. >.> No one could tell me what season exactly that they would be getting the pumpkin though. Made me giggle.

Lucky for me I wasn’t planning on using the pumpkin today – just wanted to start stocking up.

I planned on just using the caramel-glaze from this recipe on another bread but decided to make the whole thing. The batter tasted delicious. Hopefully the finished product is as good.

I had to include this picture because Marble (the dog) is in the background and I didn’t realize it until I went to post the picture. it had be cracked up.

I would like to say a huge thank you to all my comment leaving buddies lately. It really does make my day when I get feedback on the recipes, topics and site in general. I cry myself to sleep at night on the days that there is no internet love. Ok, it’s no where near that bad, but I do smile every time I get a comment. Heck, I smile because I get spam, figure it means I’m doing something right. ;)So thank you everyone! I really appreciate it!

Comments

I still haven’t figured out why stores don’t carry pumpkin year round! Don’t they know that I need my fix, even in the middle of August? Sheesh. They’re missing out on a really lucrative market.

Ah well. Your loaf screams fall to me in the best way possible. Delicious apples and caramel? How could you go wrong.

This sounds like a must try for fall. I’m imagining a warm slice right in front of me now and I think I’m drooling! It’s cool and rainy so it would be perfect today. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.

that looks AMAAAAZING.

i’m all about apples and i see this bread as something i’m going to make in the next few weeks.

thanks for sharing!

i just wanted to make sure i made u happy very nice recipe and great pictures i like cooking and taking pictures but somehow they never come together quite well tnx again

5. Tunde says

Looks delicoius! Do you think it’s possible to replace the brown sugar with regular one? I have a hard time finding packed brown sugar in Romania.

6. Cheryl says

I had the same thing happen to me this weekend. How is pumpkin not in season??? The lady at the store I went to tried to sell me a plastic pumpkin instead. Yeah that’s going to taste great in a cream cheese spread.

7. barbara says

Loved the pix with the dog in the background. Reminds me of the time my newly married daughter made banana bread as Christmas gifts for family and friends. The whole counter was filled. She went to the store…when she returned the dog had taken bites out of many loaves!!! Funniest is that she cut off the bit end, wrapped the rest and presented it to them as 1/2 a loaf! They never knew and it was delicious. This still makes me laugh!! The bread sound great, I have to try it. Thanks

8. Marcie says

Thanks for the delicious recipe! I brought it to brunch this morning and got a lot of compliments.

I baked an 8 x 4″ loaf pan for 35 minutes, and a mini loaf pan for only 30 minutes.

We ate a mini loaf of bread without the glaze and thought it was just okay (the nutmeg came across pretty strong to me). But then I added the glaze, and that made it fantastic! I had to play with the glaze a little; next time I won’t cool it very long at all before I add the sugar, and I think that will work better.

My 13 year old brother picked out this recipe (from a long list of recipes I picked out first, of course) to make with the apples we picked last weekend and the bread is in the oven now!

He is particularly excited about the caramel glaze. Thanks for the recipe!

10. Natalie says

Made the bread tonight. Turned out wonderfully! Absolutely delicious and the glaze was a perfect addition of flavors! My glaze ended up needing a bunch of milk, but once it was the right consistancy it worked perfectly! Loved everything about it. Made muffins with the leftover batter. Those cooked a lot faster, and was able to enjoy those a lot sooner! Definitely a keeper!

11. Heidi says

What is AP flour? A brand or special kind?
    Also what kind of apples do you use for the recipe? Thanks!

AP flour is all purpose flour. I can not remember exactly what kind of apples I used in the bread, but when baking I tend to lean towards red delicious and granny smith.

12. Ruth Anne Richmond Harmeling says

I love Granny Smiths. They are tart and crisp and stand up to most anything you want to do with them. When I make applesauce I use a mix of Galas and Grannys. But for everything else is all about the Granny.

13. Nicole says

I made this tonight and it was amazing! Everything turned out perfect and my hubby is very happy. Thank you! :)

14. Chelle says

Funny you talk about the pumpkin. I replaced the oil and buttermilk with equal amount of cooked mashed pumpkin! Turned out great and drops the calories to 220 for a 1 inch slice, before adding glaze of course : ) I did cut down the cooking time to about 40 mins per earlier comments.