Bubble up pizza is a simple, one pan pizza dinner recipe made with refrigerated biscuits. There’s nothing fancy about it, but it’s always a fan favorite!
We all love pizza, and this is a recipe my stepmother introduced to me when I was a teenager.
Bubble Up Pizza is so easy to make, kids can do it and it uses just a few common ingredients that are easy to keep on hand.
Now, as an adult, I make this for friends kids or as appetizers for when I have company over for games or movies. It’s a fun easy recipe! One of my tried and true favorites.
What is Bubble Up Pizza
For starters, Bubble Up Pizza is a quick and easy baked dish that I totally made countless times as a teenager. A fast and easy snack that anyone can toss together, it’s essentially refrigerated biscuit dough chopped up and tossed with all your favorite pizza ingredients. Thinks pizza meets casserole. Or pizza meats pull apart bread. It’s a perfect recipe to get kids in the kitchen cooking or to share with hungry teenagers.
I have seen mention of it everywhere from Pampered Chef to old school cookbooks – so I claim no origin here, just that this was a recipe taught to me by my stepmother as an easy kid-friendly meal.
Because you’re using biscuit dough, it doesn’t require much prep time. And a warning – it’s light as air! So you’re going to totally eat more than you expect to!
Bubble Up Pizza with Grands Biscuits
The recipe for bubble up pizza requires refrigerated biscuits. You can use Grands, and if they are large, make sure you aren’t using too many. But I like to hunt out the original small biscuits that Pillsbury used to make. They are getting harder and harder to find, as the Grands get fluffier and fluffier. This works with any refrigerated biscuit dough, just make sure you’re cutting the dough into even portions for even baking.
I love saving money and stocking up on the biscuit dough when they are on serious sale! This makes Bubble Up Pizza a crazy cheap meal for the family. I grab the tubes of dough when they are 4 for $2 and then use homemade pizza sauce to pinch pennies. Dinner on a dime, and delicious? Yes, please.
How to Make Bubble Up Pizza
Grab the recipe below and make your own version of bubble up pizza. I love showing this recipe to kids, its hands on and FUN.
All you need is
- biscuit dough
- pizza sauce
- and toppings, like pepperoni, mushrooms, sausage and any other of your pizza favorites!
If you like pizza for dinner, be sure to check out these other pizza recipes of mine:
- Breakfast Pizza – Because wouldn’t you rather have a warm breakfast pizza than cold leftover pizza?
- Cheesesteak Pizza – Elevate Pizza Night
- Thin-Crust Skillet Pizza for Two – This pizza could also be a thin-crust skillet pizza for one. Just sayin’.
- Farm Country Grilled Pizza – If you’ve never cooked a pizza on a grill, you have to try this recipe!
- Waffle Pizzas and Celebrating My 200th Decline
- Personal Grilled Taco Pizzas – This is for pizza on Taco Tuesdays. Or it could be for Saturdays, too.
If you’ve tried my Bubble Up Pizza recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 2 containers refrigerated biscuit dough 8 biscuits each (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup pepperoni or other favorite toppings
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven as per directions on dough.
- With a sharp knife, divide each biscuit into 4.
- In a large bowl, combine diced biscuit dough, sauce, 1 1/2 cups cheese and toppings. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased oven safe skillet or 9×13 baking pan.
- Chop the basil and sprinkle on top along with remaining cheese.
- Bake according to directions on dough, checking to make sure dough is cooked through and cheese is bubbling (I always bake mine for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving
Use your favorite pizza toppings and sauce combinations to customize this recipe! Just like classic pizza, anything goes!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 325 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 745mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 11g