Pizza in casserole form? Yes, please! Bubble Up Pizza is so easy to make, kids can do it and it uses just a few common ingredients that are easy to keep on hand.
There are plenty of recipes with biscuit dough, but one of my favorites is this bubble up pizza. It’s a simple, five-ingredient recipe that everyone will love. Golden-brown bites of buttery biscuit baked with melty mozzarella, pizza sauce, fresh basil, and whatever pizza toppings your heart desires.
This recipe is kid (and adult)-approved, and takes just 5 minutes to prep!
What is Bubble Up Pizza
Bubble up pizza is a quick and easy baked dish made with chopped up refrigerated biscuit dough tossed with all of your favorite pizza ingredients, then baked until golden and puffy.
Think pizza meets casserole…or pizza meets pull-apart bread. It’s a delicious comfort food that I used to make a lot as a teenager, but that I’m more than happy to make now!
Because you're using biscuit dough, it doesn't require much prep time. And a warning - it's light as air! So you're going to totally eat more than you expect to!
This biscuit dough pizza is delicious with my favorite ingredients, but can also be customized just how you like it! Feel free to play around with the ingredients as you like!
- Biscuit Dough - you’ll need 2 cans of refrigerated biscuit dough that contain 8 biscuits each. I used Pillsbury!
- Pizza Sauce - just use your favorite.
- Cheese - mozzarella cheese is a classic, but feel free to use whatever cheese your heart desires.
- Pepperoni - pepperoni is my favorite, but you can totally use whatever pizza toppings your heart desires.
- Basil - a few fresh basil leaves gives the biscuit pizza that classic pizza flavor.
How to Make Bubble Up Pizza
Divide each piece of biscuit dough into 4 pieces using a sharp knife. In a bowl, mix together dough, pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings.
Transfer the mixture into an oven-safe skillet or baking pan, sprinkle with chopped basil, and bake according to the directions on the dough.
Bubble Up Pizza with Grands Biscuits
The recipe for bubble up pizza requires refrigerated biscuits. You can use Grands, and if they are large, make sure you aren’t using too many. But I like to hunt out the original small biscuits that Pillsbury used to make.
They are getting harder and harder to find, as the Grands get fluffier and fluffier. This works with any refrigerated biscuit dough, just make sure you’re cutting the dough into even portions for even baking.
I love saving money and stocking up on the biscuit dough when they are on serious sale! This makes Bubble Up Pizza a crazy cheap meal for the family. I grab the tubes of dough when they are 4 for $2 and then use homemade pizza sauce to pinch pennies. Dinner on a dime and delicious? Yes, please.
Is Biscuit Dough the Same as Pizza Dough?
Not quite! Biscuit dough is lighter, flakier, and more buttery than classic pizza dough. But although different, biscuit dough is just as delicious with all of the classic pizza toppings!
Tips and Notes for Biscuit Dough Pizza
- Grease the pan. Lightly greasing the skillet or baking pan prevents the dough from sticking.
- Baking time: Follow the instructions on the biscuit dough package to know how long to bake the biscuit pizza. I like to add 5 minutes for a little more crisp, but it’s not necessary.
- Get creative! You can use any of your favorite pizza toppings and sauces. Just like classic pizza, anything goes!
How to Store
I don’t recommend leftovers. It’s best hot and fresh out of the oven. If you do have leftovers you can store them in the fridge and warm them in the microwave.
More pizza for dinner recipes to try!
- Breakfast Pizza
- Cheesesteak Pizza
- Thin-Crust Skillet Pizza for Two
- Fam Country Grilled Pizza
- Waffle Pizzas
- Personal Grilled Taco Pizza
If you’ve tried my Bubble Up Pizza recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 2 containers refrigerated biscuit dough 8 biscuits each (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup pepperoni or other favorite toppings
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven as per directions on dough.
- With a sharp knife, divide each biscuit into 4.
- In a large bowl, combine diced biscuit dough, sauce, 1 ½ cups cheese and toppings. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into greased oven safe skillet or 9×13 baking pan.
- Chop the basil and sprinkle on top along with remaining cheese.
- Bake according to directions on dough, checking to make sure dough is cooked through and cheese is bubbling (I always bake mine for an additional 5 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving
Use your favorite pizza toppings and sauce combinations to customize this recipe! Just like classic pizza, anything goes!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 745mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g