Vanilla Bean Butter. Oh sweet baby Jesus. I can’t even explain how amazing this is. And in a cocktail? This Hot Buttered Rum is all that. Yeah.
First, let me just say my entire food blogging career could all come down to something as simple as this. No, not even the cocktail. The butter. More specifically, the Vanilla Bean Butter. Oh sweet baby Jesus. I can’t even explain how amazing this is. I hate myself for not thinking this up on my own. And not discovering it 20 or so years ago.
Given race season starts in a few weeks, maybe it’s a good thing I didn’t know about vanilla bean butter….
Second, after months of bitter cold, dark, dreary days covered with nasty slushy slow that makes roads to icy to ride safely, and trails to wet to ride often, mother nature teased us yesterday and today with freakishly warm temps for February. So help me, if she turns it around and there’s another foot of snow on the ground next Friday, I quit. I will throw it all away and take up marathon knitting. Anyone else ready for spring already?
Lastly, with the Powerball being like a zillion dollars the other day (and kudos to that lucky person who won), there was a lot of chatter at my shop about what you would do with that kind of money. I for one would start traveling immediately. Not sure what else I’d do… but I would see the world.
What would you do with Powerball money?
If you’ve tried my Hot Buttered Rum recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Why is the rum gone? Probably because I’ve been making all of these this winter. Try them. And maybe stock up with a few cases of Captain Morgan…
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped out, and pods reserved for some other magical recipe
- 1 1/2 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
- pinch salt
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 oz dark rum
- 3 cups hot water
- Mix the butter with the vanilla seeds, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and mace. Mix well so that it all comes together.
- Roll into a log, wrap in a plastic wrap and store in fridge until needed. When ready to use, let come to room temperature.
For the Hot Buttered Rum Cocktails:
- Divide the rum between 4 cups.
- Divide the water evenly over each, and stir as needed.
- Slice a bit of butter into each cup and enjoy.