French fries are a gift from the potato gods. Yep, I said it. They go perfectly with almost any main dish and even kids love them. The best thing about this recipe isn't that it's quick or easy (although it is), but that these crispy oven baked french fries are made in the oven.
That's right, say goodbye to fried fast food fries. Once you taste these, homemade french fries, you'll never go back!
Homemade Baked French Fries
Until now, making the perfect fries at home has been a flop. I have pulled out my big, heavy deep fryer countless times and tried so many various brands of bagged fries, but they were never quite right.
It turns out the solution was easier and healthier than I could have imagined.
What You Need
Grab a high quality kitchen knife and prepare to brush up on your slicing skills! This is the most involved part of this recipe; besides your potatoes you’ll need a heavy aluminum baking pan, vegetable oil, cornstarch and salt for seasoning.
How to Make Oven Baked Fries
The secret to making the best oven baked fries is in the prep. You'll start with real thick cut potatoes to give them a steak fries feel.
Then (here's the secret sauce) cook put them in the microwave for a few minutes to soften them. Next you'll dry them and toss them in corn starch and vegetable oil.
The cornstarch makes the fries have that restaurant-quality crunch we all love. And because the french fries aren't fried, they are easy to make at home and baked in the oven!
What to serve with my fries?
These make the perfect side dish for The Conquistador Turkey Burger recipe which you can grab here
What type of potatoes should I use?
Russett potatoes yield the best results. You can, of course, use any type you like but they will not turn out the same quality as these do.
Why aren’t my fries crispy?
Any moisture on the potatoes will make they soft. Dry the potatoes well and fully coat them in the cornstarch for best results.
Now that you have the fries, what should they go with? Here are some of my favorite ideas.
Shrimp Po Boy Burgers
Best Ever Barbecued Ribs & Charred Corn Salad with Basil and Tomatoes
Perfect Pan Seared Ribeye Steaks
If you’ve tried my Crispy Oven Baked French Fries recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
- 4 to 5 russet potatoes
- 6 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and place rack on the lowest position.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into ½" thick slices. Place in a large microwave safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Heat for 3 to 5 minutes, tossing half way through until soft and edges are slightly translucent.
- Remove the potatoes from the bowl and pat dry.
- Coat a heavy duty rimmed aluminum baking pan with 5 tablespoon vegetable oil. Place in the oven 5 to 7 minutes, until the oil just starts to smoke.
- Meanwhile, whisk 1 tablespoon vegetable oil with salt and cornstarch in a small bowl. Toss the potatoes with the cornstarch mixture and carefully arrange on the oil coated baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping half way through baking.
- Remove from oven and place fries on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Sprinkle with additional salt if desired and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information provided is an estimate from nutritionix.com. For specific health concerns, please put the recipe into your Dr recommended nutrition calculator.