This is a hearty steak salad for carnivores who need a little extra green in their diet. With all the flavors and juices from the steak, I didn't use any dressing, but feel free to pair this with a light vinaigrette if desired.
Things are picking up as spring is looming in the distance while cold temperatures seem to hang over us. Spring isn't sprung... it's more like a slow creep this year. But that's not stopping us from pulling the bikes out, still putting the layers on and pedaling.
We rode Friday night for an hour. I'm still getting steady on the bike in the way that I was last year. Handsome, who is naturally gifted and raised in a more wooded area is natural and comfortable dodging limbs and launching himself over logs in the tight turns of the trails. Me, not so much. But I'm much better than when we started. Friday night, I took one hell of a topple (backwards and upside down sort of thing - the internet has no time for humility) down a pretty ragged bridge. One packed with large stones (does this help horses? Who thought stones jutting out of concrete was a good idea?) and although I picked myself up and continued to ride for the better part of an hour, I can admit I was pretty sore later.
Sunday morning we picked up and headed out for a great two hour ride where I got to go all Matrix and catch my bike after I went over the handlebars before it smacked me in the face. Winning. No seriously, the bike did not hit myself. I'll take it! But the rest of the ride was great, pace was comfortable and my legs loved the time outside. Today we start looking down the stretch of an upcoming race and a 5k. Things are about to get a little more intense as we push ourselves harder. You know, jump higher, run fast, leap tall buildings in a single bound and all that jazz.
Which brings us full circle back to salad Mondays. Can you hear the enthusiasm .. No. Neither can I. But hopefully by doing this we will learn to love salads and work them into our diet more often.
If you’ve tried this Spinach & Steak Salad recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Spinach & Steak Salad
- 1 flat iron steak - under a pound
- salt pepper
- Mesquite seasoning
- ½ red pepper - sliced
- ½ green pepper - sliced
- ¼ red onion - sliced thin
- 4 oz mushrooms - sliced
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2-4 tbs feta cheese
- 2 tbs olive oil - divided
- 4 slices leftover bread
- Rub the steal with salt, pepper, and a generous coating of the Mesquite seasoning. Cover and let the flavors mingle for a 2-4 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Chop your vegetables and toss them in a large bowl with the spinach.
- Once grill is hot, drizzle a little olive oil over the steak and carefully place on the grill (dripping olive oil will cause flare ups).
- Cook for 4-5 minutes depending on the thickness of the steak, flip and cook for 5 minutes longer or until desired doneness.
- Let steak rest for 10 minutes while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Slice the bread into large cubes.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over bread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with a dash of salt.
- Broil until toasted and firm.
- Slice steak and place over salad.
- Pour any juices into the salad as well. Sprinkle feta cheese on top and serve with croutons.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!