Ever get a craving for classic brownies? The kind with nuts and creamy frosting like grandma used to make. This is that recipe. Perfect classic brownies with frosting.
Today is double awesome! I have teamed up with 19 other bloggers, hosted by Karyn of Dieter’s Downfall and Pint Sized Baker, and we are hosting a HUGE holiday favorites giveaway. There’s like a billion prizes to be one (ok, 20, including the grand prize) but that’s still kind of crazy, right?!
If you’ve tried my Classic Brownies recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Love Brownies as much as I do? Try these favorites.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8" baking dish with parchment paper and grease.
For the brownies
- Melt the shortening and butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the cocoa. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the eggs until pale yellow. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the cooled chocolate mix and vanilla. Mix until combined, scraping down sides as needed.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Pour into the egg chocolate mixture in three batches, mixing to combine. Scrape down the sides as needed and stir nonce more.
- Fold in the pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
For the frosting;
- Whisk the cocoa into the melted butter.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar in small batches and whisk to combine.
- Add the vanilla and add more confectioners’s sugar as needed. .
- Spread over brownies and let set before cutting into squares and serving