Pudding is so darned convenient in those tiny cups that you can buy at the market. But they are no where near as good as the home made version. This Chocolate Whiskey Pudding is one of my favorites.
The days are now a wee bit longer, and mother nature is finally kissing us with a hint of warmth. My St. Patty's day indulgence of whiskey pudding and other treats are now looming over me as I want to be outside thinking of hot summer days. But I can promise the guilt was worth every smooth bite.
Pudding is one of those desserts that we should all take on a few times. It's so darned convenient in those tiny cups that you can buy at the market. But they are no where near as good as the home made version. A childhood treat, updated for my big kid tastes, that you shouldn't let intimidate you. Pudding - it's really that easy.
If you’ve tried my Chocolate Whiskey Pudding recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Pudding really is this easy. I couldn't believe it at first myself. Try these and you wont be disappointed.
Salted Caramel Butterscotch Pudding Recipe
Salted Caramel Budino | AKA Italian Pudding
Graham cracker topping
- 4 ½ whole graham crackers - broken up a bit
- 1 oz unsalted butter - room temp
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate - chopped
- 2 tablespoon good whiskey
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter - room temp
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 ¼ teaspoon whiskey
Make the topping
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse the graham crackers, 1 oz butter (¼ stick), 1 tbs sugar, and 1 teas cinnamon in a food processor to form coarse crumbs.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and smooth into a thin later. Bake about 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the pudding.
- In a large sauce pan, combine the 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt. Whisk.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk to combine. Add in the milk slowly and then the cream.
- Set over a pot over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, until it begins to boil.
- Boil for 30 seconds then remove from heat, whisking the entire time.
- Whisk for 15 seconds longer to release some heat before stirring in the chocolate, 2 tbs whiskey, and butter until smooth.
- Let the pudding cool slightly, whisking every now and again, about 10 minutes.
- In a heatproof bowl that can function as a double boiler, and mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites, final cup of sugar, water, corn syrup and final 1 ½ teas whiskey.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan over simmering water and whisk until an instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set on your stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) beat on high until marshmallow tips form stiff peaks (6 - 8 minutes).
- Place pudding in desired serving bowl, dish, cups, etc. Top with graham cracker topping (or layer if desired). Top with a dollop of marshmallow topping to cover the top. If you own a kitchen torch, here is a moment to show off those skills. Toast the marshmallow topping, if desired. Serve
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!
Belinda @zomppa says
I'm so ready for the spring...and for sweet naughty desserts like this!
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
S'mores and whiskey all in one? Where were these at the bonefire the other night!?
Zainab @ Blahnik Baker says
Whiskey chocolate pudding and smores?? Love love this!!
Katrina @ WVS says
Oh man, this pudding looks so crazy good!! LOVE!
Kita, I'm loving the flavors here in this beautifully captured pudding. Big kid taste, indeed!
This looks downright luscious! Also, I want to sneak a swig of that delicious-looking whiskey.
Sommer @ASpicyPerspective says
This looks so very sinfully delish! Pinning