Banana Cupcakes with creme fraiche frosting are a dessert to love. Tender cupcakes are laced with coconut and topped with sweet frosting. They are here to stay!
Some days, we just need a cupcake. Actually, most days we need a cupcake. And why not? They are a great portion of sugary delight, have just enough frosting, and come in so many awesome flavor combinations. To those people that think cupcakes have been dethroned by pies, French macarons, and whoopie pies, I say ha!
Personally, cupcakes are here to stay for me because:
- They are awesome. Duh.
- They allow me to eat delicious flavors without the task of making a beautiful cake.
- They are relatively cheap to make.
- I don't like fruit, except for a banana now and then.
- That means most pies are out.
- Pies don't really fit into muffin tins.
- And they don't transport as easily as a cupcake.
- Lets not get me started on French macarons. We'll just say I don't get them.
But banana cupcakes. I definitely get them!
Especially when they're topped with Crème fraîche frosting. Oh yeah.
What is Crème Fraîche?
Crème fraîche is a cultured milk product originating in France that is similar in composition to sour cream. It is produced by adding a starter culture of a mix of bacteria to heavy cream and allowing it to stand at an appropriate temperature until it thickens. Sounds gross, but pretty much the same way that yogurt is made. And it has a very distinctive taste that is just perfect for these cupcakes. Yup, perfect.
Love Cupcakes? How can you not? Little personal serving sized cakes that don’t require a fork, HECK YEAH! Try these out while you’re at it!
Spiked Mudslide Cupcakes
Black and White Irish Cream Cupcakes
Almond Green Tea Cupcakes
If you’ve tried my Banana Cupcakes recipe or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled, and mashed
- ½ rounded cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 fresh banana, sliced, for decoration
For the Creme Fraiche Frosting
- 8 oz creme fraiche
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Line 1 (12-cup) muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and the sugar. Beat with a hand-held mixer until combined.
- Add the sour cream and the vanilla extract. Slowly beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
- Incorporate the dry mixture and wet mixtures together until thoroughly combined.
- Add the bananas and shredded coconut, being careful not to over mix.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner ¾ way full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops turn golden-brown and when a toothpick, inserted in the middle of the cupcake, comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven to a wire rack and let cool before frosting.
For the Frosting
- Combine creme fraiche and confectioners sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Using the whisk attachment, whisk until thick and creamy, being careful not to overmix or it may become grainy. Use immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information provided is an estimate from nutritionix.com. For specific health concerns, please put the recipe into your Dr recommended nutrition calculator.
Banana cupcakes with creme fraiche frosting? Yeah, cupcakes are here to stay.