There is something so simple, so rewarding, so amazing about this roasted butternut squash soup with apple cranberry relish
Yeah, this is the one soup you must make this fall. No lie. There is something so simple, so rewarding, so amazing about this roasted butternut squash soup with apple cranberry relish you will be back for lunch and dinner the next day. It’s smooth, creamy, and packed with flavor. Plus, butternut squash is one of those magic foods that makes you feel full and satisfied along with being jam packed with healthy vitamins. It’s like a double bonus to go right on top of just how awesome this soup tastes. And, the cherry on top? It’s freakin easy to make. Slice that butternut squash open and get to roasting. Tweak and season in a variety of ways and this could be your go to soup until next spring. No lie.
Don’t believe me? I double dog dare you to get into the kitchen right now and give it a go.
Now, for those following along with the various adventures of Kita and her random bike crashes, oxymoronical fitness obsession while chugging a milkshake, photo taking, picture stalking, crazy life – look forward to some posts later this week where I reveal a little more plotting and scheming from the great Peabody and myself, root beer palooza with The Spiffy Cookie, along with a couple of photoshoots, and another plea for some loving towards the wonderful cause I am working with this December in Cambodia. Fan of this drool worthy pic? Grab a print (ok, not this one, but some other great ones) at my shop online and help a sister out! ;D (Can’t wait? Maybe you should be following along on Instagram – cuz it is like the best social network
And, let’s get out the stretchy pants, because guys and dolls from now until those New Years resolutions – it’s on. And it’s going to be delicious!
- 3 lbs butternut squash
- 3 shallots, peeled and roughly quartered
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbs real maple syrup, plus 1 teas
- 1 teas cider vinegar
- 1 teas freshly grated nutmeg
- Water, if needed
- 1/2 red apple, diced (really, any apple will do)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 teas cinnamon
- 1/2 teas lemon juice
- 1/4 cup feta
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel the butternut squash. Cut the ends off and split it where the thicker part comes to the neck. Cut down the center length wise and using a spoon, scrape out the seeds. Dice the squash into 1 1/2" thick pieces.
- On a baking sheet with edges, toss the squash with the shallots, vegetable oil, 1 teas salt and a 1/2 teas pepper. Spread evenly and roast for 45 minutes, stirring two or three times through the process.
- Carefully, add 1/2 cup chicken broth to the pan and scrape up any browned bits. Toss to coat and put back in the oven for about 5 minutes to reduce the broth and create a glaze over the veggies.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool until safe to handle.
- Pulse the roasted veggies in a blender or large food processor with the remaining chicken broth until smooth.
- Pour the pureed veggies into a large pot or Dutch oven. Stir in the cream, 1 tbs syrup, vinegar, and nutmeg. Simmer over medium low heat adding 1/4 cup of water as needed to adjust consistency.
- Mix the diced apple and cranberries in a bowl with the remaining teaspoon syrup, cinnamon, lemon juice, and feta.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the Apple-Cranberry relish on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 320 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 172mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 19g Protein: 7g