There is something so simple, so rewarding, so amazing about this roasted butternut squash soup with apple cranberry relish
Yeah, this is the one soup you must make this fall. No lie. There is something so simple, so rewarding, so amazing about this roasted butternut squash soup with apple cranberry relish you will be back for lunch and dinner the next day. It’s smooth, creamy, and packed with flavor. Plus, butternut squash is one of those magic foods that makes you feel full and satisfied along with being jam packed with healthy vitamins. It’s like a double bonus to go right on top of just how awesome this soup tastes. And, the cherry on top? It’s freakin easy to make. Slice that butternut squash open and get to roasting. Tweak and season in a variety of ways and this could be your go to soup until next spring. No lie.
Don’t believe me? I double dog dare you to get into the kitchen right now and give it a go. And you know what would go incredibly well with it? A smooth sip of an amazing Cranberry Bourbon Smash.
And, let’s get out the stretchy pants, because guys and dolls from now until those New Years resolutions – it’s on. And it’s going to be delicious!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Apple-Cranberry Relish
- 3 lbs butternut squash
- 3 shallots - peeled and roughly quartered
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbs real maple syrup - plus 1 teas
- 1 teas cider vinegar
- 1 teas freshly grated nutmeg
- Water - if needed
- 1/2 red apple - diced (really, any apple will do)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 teas cinnamon
- 1/2 teas lemon juice
- 1/4 cup feta
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel the butternut squash. Cut the ends off and split it where the thicker part comes to the neck. Cut down the center length wise and using a spoon, scrape out the seeds. Dice the squash into 1 1/2″ thick pieces.
- On a baking sheet with edges, toss the squash with the shallots, vegetable oil, 1 teas salt and a 1/2 teas pepper. Spread evenly and roast for 45 minutes, stirring two or three times through the process.
- Carefully, add 1/2 cup chicken broth to the pan and scrape up any browned bits. Toss to coat and put back in the oven for about 5 minutes to reduce the broth and create a glaze over the veggies.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool until safe to handle.
- Pulse the roasted veggies in a blender or large food processor with the remaining chicken broth until smooth.
- Pour the pureed veggies into a large pot or Dutch oven. Stir in the cream, 1 tbs syrup, vinegar, and nutmeg. Simmer over medium low heat adding 1/4 cup of water as needed to adjust consistency.
- Mix the diced apple and cranberries in a bowl with the remaining teaspoon syrup, cinnamon, lemon juice, and feta.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the Apple-Cranberry relish on top.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!