This Confetti Layer Cake is much easier to make than it looks, and is sure to bring a smile on birthdays. Try it out as is, or you can swap the sprinkles and frosting out for chocolate for a totally different feel.
Being the most social blogger ever, I baked a cake for someone. Not just any someone, but the ever ever lovely prim and proper Ms. Movita Beaucoup. a delicate little dancer, who writes the most thoughtful and heartwarming posts that will leave you waiting in anticipation for the next, who also, just happens to ice a cake like a pro. Every year Movita Beaucoup's site hosts several competitions that make the masterful DIYers and skilled pastry chefs crawl out of their creative dormancy and show off their highly trained mad skills. These competitions also make me want to wither up and quit as I stare down the talent and creativity of her awesome participants and Movita's own photo-shopping skills. I am lacking the years spent honing my cake baking skills, hours spent smoothing icing, and the creative mind to come up with a baked good not directly from a cookbook. But, I wanted to show my support as a fellow blogger and that I am a devoted fan, so I busted out lots of props and a random bunny to distract you. Then, I threw some sprinkles on the cake and in the surrounding area, in hopes that that would make it more appealing. Clean up was a blast.
For those of you who don't regularly read Pass the Sushi, or are not yet addicted to Movita Beaucoup, please read the above with a level of sarcasm and dry wit you'd find on an ABC family special, think Gilmore Girls.
Now, on to the Confetti Layer Cake!
If you’ve tried my Confetti Layer Cake recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
I always figure, if I 'm going to make a cake, it is going to be an event. Go big or go home. Feeling ambitious? Try these out next.
- ¾ cup rainbow sprinkles
- 6 large egg whites - room temperature
- ⅔ cup whole milk - room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
For the Icing
- 1 teaspoon salt - plus a pinch
- ½ pound unsalted butter - cut into 16 pieces and softened plus, 1 lbs unsalted butter, softenend and cut into 32 pieces
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Grease and flour three 8" round cake pans. Line with parchment paper and grease and flour again. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pulse the ½ cup of the sprinkles once or twice in a food processor.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites, milk and vanilla.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the ½ pound butter, with the mixer running on low, until all butter is combined and the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Slowly pour in all but ½ cup of the egg mixture, until just combined. Increase the speed to medium high and beat 1 minute, until light and fluffy.
- Add in the remaining egg mixture. Scrape down the sides as needed and combine again on medium high heat for 15 seconds longer.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Divide the batter evenly in the pans and smooth tops with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 21 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out cakes and removing parchment. Cool Completely.
Meanwhile, make the icing.
- In a clean bowl for your stand mixer, whisk the butter, heavy cream, salt, and vanilla with the whisk attachment.
- Carefully add in the confectioners' sugar until all is incorporated.
- Increase spread to medium-high and whip until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!