Everybody loves doughnuts. Especially when they are soft and just a little drippy. These Bourbon Bacon Doughnuts are exactly that. Soft, crunchy, and oh so good.
Welcome. Did you trade in those glitter leggings for comfy sweat pants yet because it's round two of Doughnut Week and you might as well make your self comfortable. Clearly, I didn't get enough of liqueur glazed, iced, and frosted fried bites of awesome as I followed up my Irish cream cream filled doughnuts with a round of bourbon glazed bacon topped doughnuts. So let's get to it! And don't forget the awesome giveaway hanging out below the post.
Hop around and make sure to spread some jelly filled sprinkle splattered doughnut loving around:
Coconut Doughnut Holes Filled With Lime Curd via Bakeaholic Mama
Maple Bacon Donuts From Baked By Rachel
Sugared Doughnuts by Table for Two
Baked Chocolate Avocado Donuts via Running to the Kitchen
Lemon Berry Doughnut Trifles by Jelly Toast
Chocolate Orange Baked Doughnuts via Nutmeg Nanny
Classic Bismark with Vanilla Creme by Wanna be a Country Cleaver
Vanilla Baked Frui-Doo Donuts via Farm Girl Gourmet
If you’ve tried my Bourbon Bacon Doughnuts recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
Bourbon Bacon Doughnuts
For the Doughnuts
- 3 cups all-purpose flour - divided, plus extra bench flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Canola oil - for frying
For the Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoon bourbon
- Bacon - cooked and cut into tiny pieces (a few extra strips from breakfast or burger night will do)
Make the Doughnuts
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt until combined.
- Add the shortening and combine.
- Add the buttermilk, egg and yolk in to the bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add the bourbon and final cup of flour until well mixed.
- Remove from stand, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours.
- When ready to fry, turn the dough out onto a well floured clean work surface and press into a circle about ½" thick.
- Using a doughnut cutter or a 3 – 4 ” round biscuit cutter and a 1" round cutter, cut out doughnuts.
- Re-roll (and re-flour surface) as needed until the last doughnut has been cut (and even then you can fry the scraps. Who’s judging? Not me).
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a pot with high sides or in a fryer and arrange paper towels on a wire rack near by to drain.
- When the oil is hot, work in small batches to fry all of the doughnuts and doughnut holes, 2 to 3 minutes a side until golden.
- Transfer carefully to paper towel lined rack and let cool.
Make the Glaze
- Whisk the confectioners sugar and bourbon together in a bowl to form a thick glaze. Add a dash of milk if needed to thin it out.
- Dip each doughnut in the glaze and let rest for 5 seconds.
- Place on a wire rack and press bacon into glaze to set.
- Allow the glaze to set; Serve.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!