Salted Caramel Cupcakes

It’s as easy as ______! Go on, fill in the blank.

A few weeks ago while we were at a bike race, I was cheering people on. “It’s as easy as CAKE!,” came flying from my mouth. I didn’t think anything of it, but Handsome looked at my dumbfounded. “Cake? What the hell is that?”

Now, to be fair, I am very bad at expressions. I never get them quite right, almost like I miss the nuance of it. So, I thought for a while that perhaps cake was not the right way to say what I was trying to and that it was peculiar…. Until my co-worker said exact the same thing the other day, “Easy as cake!” Thank you!

Now on to our own pint sized cakes.

The winner of last weeks Silpat giveaway from BigKitchen was Sara!

Comments

I recently made salted caramel cupcakes but with chocolate fudgy cupcakes and the caramel frosting on top. The combination was out of this world! Brown sugar cupcakes sound incredible though. Such a nice compliment to the salted caramel. Happy Friday!

Easy as cake. You sound like my mother who used to always tell us we were ‘threading on thin ice.’ But she’s French so she has an excuse. :)

I’m stunned by how amazing those cupcakes look. I want to make these. There’s no way I’ll be able to do the swirly thing with the frosting, but I want them so much. I’m curious as to what heaven cream is. Is that just spell check doing it’s thing with heavy cream or is there such a thing?

I like the idea of filling the cupcakes with caramel. They sound like a nice blend of caramel flavors with the brown sugar in the cupcakes, the caramel filling and the salted caramel frosting. Will have to give this a try!

Holy crow! The cupcakes sound amazing and your photos are NEXT LEVEL!! My mum would absolutely adore these – she’s a huge caramel fan, and recently fell in love with the whole salted caramel concept. This is going to secure my position as Favourite Child…

5. Karen says

I really want to make these, but is there a quantity of sugar missing in the buttercream? You say beat the butter and sugar together then slowly add the confectioner’s sugar, but you don’t mention how much sugar to beat with the butter. And, do you need 1 stick of salted and 1 stick of unsalted butter? Maybe one of these was meant to be sugar? These cupcakes look amazing, and I love your photography! Thanks!

6. Jodi says

I made these for my husband’s work social along with four other types of “gourmet” cupcakes. These were by far the most popular. So delicious – my new favourite. Thanks for the recipe! Will use again in the future :)

7. Bronwyn says

I made these today. I haven’t tasted one yet, but all the different components were delicious on their own. It was my first time making caramel and I felt like I had conquered the world!
    If I were to make it again, though, I’d make more of the icing.. there just wasn’t enough in my opinion.

8. Kat says

Hi! I really want to try this recipe of yours cuz they look really amazing! But I’m confused as to how the buttercream recipes goes. You say beat the butter and sugar together then slowly add the confectioner’s sugar, but you don’t mention how much sugar to beat with the butter. And, do you need 1 stick of salted and 1 stick of unsalted butter? Maybe one of these was meant to be sugar? Thanks! :)

Sorry about that. There is no additional sugar (fixed), but two sticks of butter, one salted and one unsalted are needed.

9. Ling says

Heya, thanks for the recipe. I’m trying it out, but just realised that you didn’t mention when to add the seasalt for the frosting?

10. Leah says

Hi! I baked these cupcakes twice now, using your recipe. The cupcakes are so good, I love your recipe! But I have one problem my cupcakes turned always flat on top even of they are still in the oven they didn’t rise like a dome shape. I followed the exact measurement and procedures but I can’t get the dome shape top. I don’t know if I under/over beat the batter or…I don’t really know what’s wrong… I am using an electric hand mixer, is there a difference between electric stand mixer to electric hand mixer when doing the batter? I already changed my cupcake baking pans because I thought that is the problem. At first try I used a standard baking powder and at 2nd try I used a double rise baking powder but the results are the same flat top. Then I experimented, I filled the cupcake liners to 2/3 and some are half way and some are 3/4 way but all of them has the same flat top. I hope you can help me and give some tip/ideas. Thank you :)