Go big or go home: “Manwich” – Grilled Mac & Cheese with Pulled Pork

#Manfoodweek and the last of my Father’s Day menu for the week is one of those go big or go home type of meals. It can be summed up in two words “fat kid-tacular” as stated and copyrighted by my boyfriend who when asked to help choose the pictures stated, “It doesn’t matter. They are all amazing.” For those of you who don’t know him, that says a lot – because he never ever tells me when he likes or dislikes a meal. Ever.

Sometimes my mind wanders, especially when there is leftover mac and cheese in the fridge. My inner fat kid whispers inside of me the guilt ridden things I could do with all that leftover ooey gooey gluttony. It’s moments like these when I sneak quietly into the kitchen and unleash some magic.

I put dinner on the table without saying a word, knowing that this meal would be met with wide eyes of shock and horror. No one in their right mind would want to eat carb on cheese covered carb with some bbq pork shoved in the middle – because I admit, I had to be out of my own to create such a thing. And yet, dinner disappeared in silence and leftovers were consumed within the next few days – with the promise that only lettuce and broth were on the menu for the rest of the week.

I added bacon. My thought was that this was already so bad for me that bacon really wouldn’t add any more build up to my arteries than what I was already getting myself into.

Comments

Why is it I always love the recipes you categorize as fat kid friendly?! This looks so completely over the top decadent that I know I would love it and the men in my house would love me forever if I fixed this. Great post.

2. RavieNomNoms says

Haha, my boyfriend would gobble this up in no time!! He is ALWAYS asking for mac and cheese and look at the brilliant idea you had! Carb on Carbs!! Loving it Kita!

Ah yes! I have had this on my list of things to make for a while now! I saw it on Food Network from a grilled cheese food truck. Awesome that you made it, now I know I’m not the only girl wanting to eat a heart attack sandwich haha!

oh now that’s just evil, I would have loved to join you for lunch for one of those sandwiches….just a note of warning the chef is a messy eater…sigh, my wife would have had to hose me down after I devoured a few of those sandwiches!! I love pulled pork and of course mac and cheese is a given! Great combination!

I was trying to come up with something funny to say about this cacophony of carbs but I cannot top “Yeah, this makes Paula Deen and all her sticks of butter looks like a choir of angels.” LOL love it.
    I am sure this tastes scarily good

Kita,

Your blog is absolutely gorgeous. I’m so used to seeing many pastel’ish’ food blogs, and yours pops vibrantly! Love it! That said, also love your write-ups, your gorgeous photographs, and most importantly, the amazing food and recipes, such as this dream of a sandwich. It should be illegal..but in such a good, good way :) Must make it soon, after a week of light eating lol

My boyfriend just left on a 9 month deployment (our first deployment) & I’m trying to cope by learning to cook delicious food I can make for him when he gets back. This is definitely something I’m going to have to make, he’ll be all over this.

8. Tammy says

How weird! I live in Wisconsin and was just looking at a local restaurant’s menu (Bluephies) and they have something like this. A grilled cheese with mac and cheese, cheddar, bbq pork and carmelized onions. You have bacon on yours, so I’d say you are one up on them. lol :) Also, I love your site, I came across it from a recipe Pinterest.

1. […] First off, make sure you buy some solid bread when you’re making The Manwich. Some cheap soft bread and this sandwich will be all over the floor and you’ll be on your hands and knees eating it, and that’s just embarrassing. This guy is loaded with grilled mac and cheese, some pulled pork and – of course – bacon. It tastes like heaven. Sweet, greasy heaven. (Link) […]