Buckeyes {Recipe}

Do you believe in love at first site? After seeing these babies, I do.

Buckeye balls are one of those treats that I had been eyeing up for far too long. I found myself lost in long debates (with myself) over whether or not to make these dangerous little treats.

You see, the simple combination of peanut butter and chocolate – who could resist? Rhetorical question. If you have a peanut allergy you probably already broke into hives and fled this post. For the rest of us though, bite size balls (giggle) of pure deliciousness await.

I wanted to make these because they are so darned easy – and because I’m so immature that I giggle every time I say the name. I didn’t want to make these unless I knew I had someone to hand each and every one off to the moment they were done. But once Captain America hit the movie theatres, I couldn’t resist. After all, Bucky is his best friend – my inner nerd did cartwheels.

“Bucky” balls made. Patsy found. Pounds far far away from me. It’s all good and now we can proceed with the recipe. ;)

I love it when a plan comes together.

Comments

Being an Ohio State Buckeye fan, I’ll let you in on a little secret to make dipping them, leaving an “eye” easier – once you roll the PB balls, insert toothpicks into each one and the freeze for at least 20 minutes. Then dip using the toothpick, leaving the “eye”. Place back on wax paper lined sheet and let set before removing toothpick. Smudge over the hole is desired.

as a fellow Buckeye, I have to echo Erin’s advice – being from Ohio and growing up with these every year at Christmas time – it is way fun to dip them with the toothpick and then spin the excess chocolate off – And these are so heavenly! I just love them! My Cousin’s wife hates making the balls so she just makes them in squares like a brownie and puts the chocolate on top – either way you still get the same taste!

Hi Kita!! Buckeyes are one of my favorite treats during the holiday season! My mother makes them and they look slightly different from these but the same overall concept. They look fantastic!

I have had my eye on this recipe for a while! I haven’t tried them yet because I wasn’t too sure about the graham cracker crumbs…but they look incredible! I was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio (Go Bucks!) and we make buckeyes almost every Saturday during football season. :)

As a native Ohioan, I’m a lifelong Buckeye eater. As a purist, I’d hesitate to call your version “Buckeyes,” as, to me, a Buckeye is only a peanut-butter ball dipped in chocolate, only to leave the top open to resemble the actual buckeye nut. BUT I would say that your chocolate-drizzled peanut-butter balls look beautiful and delicious :)

I love peanut butter. Plain a simple. I will sometimes eat peanut butter by the spoonful for a snack with a cold glass of milk. YUM! Thank you for the recipe. It seems very easy and straight forward. I am sure I will enjoy these in the near future.

Crystal
    Drop Biscuits Recipe

I’ve never had official buckeyes before, but I think that mostly means I haven’t added graham cracker crumbs to my peanut butter balls. I do love peanut butter and chocolate though, and I love the addition of cream cheese in this recipe! The buckeyes are gorgeous, and look ridiculously tasty!

8. Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño says

I just found you from Eat Yourself Skinny and I love it. Except… I am a little jealous. I tried making these over the holidays last year and even though they tasted amazing, they looked AWEFUL! They were too big and the dipped chocolate just looked weird. Yours look so tasty, i love it!!!
    Your news follower-
    Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

Welcome to PtS! Want to know why they aren’t all dipped in chocolate? For the same reason you said – they looked horrible! I couldn’t get the hang of it at all! I finally gave up and just decided to drizzle the chocolate over top! I hope you come back for seconds.