Everything right now is apple or pumpkin. All of it. And I won’t lie, I totally found myself trying to enjoy a #PSL the other day, but they don’t make them in ‘skinny’ and I didn’t know a vente from a grande and that annoyed the young man behind the counter…. so regular coffee it was.
But I’m here in defense today of all of the amazing produce out right night. The squash are redonculous, stacked cumbersome and high at my local market, the pears, all shapes and sizes. The green fresh beautiful produce… I don’t want to miss any of it. There are apples in my cart, yes, but as for baking, I’m still holding out before I give in to the big dogs of the season and hoping that my cravings for something a little less main stream strike your fancy.
Zucchini Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups coarsely grated zucchini - 1 good sized zucchini
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teas baking soda
- 1 1/2 teas cinnamon
- 3/4 teas ginger
- 1/2 teas nutmeg
- 3/4 teas salt - divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teas vanilla - divided
- 1 stick unsalted butter - plus 1/2 stick, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar - packed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup walnuts - chopped
- 8 oz package cream cheese - softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using a kitchen towel, squeeze any excess water from zucchini.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, spices, and 1/2 teas salt.
- Beat the 8 tbs butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides and mix in the egg.
- Add the flour mix alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour until combined. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.
- Drop 1/4 cup portions of the batter onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving a 2" boarder between each, and bake for 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transfering to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the cream cheese and remaining 4 tbs butter together until smooth.Add the confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and remaining 1/4 teas salt. Mix until smooth.
- Arrange cookies so that half are facing flat side up and spread cream cheese filling over them. Top with the remaining cookies and serve. (Keep chilled in fridge if not eating right away).
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!