Looking back at the archives reveals that there are simply not enough side dishes featured here. With the holiday season barreling towards us at hyper speeds that I am not prepared for, I am doing my best to spice things up and add a few. When serving a large party, I rely heavily on my slow cooker for everything from appetizers to desserts. At the moment I own... 6... >.> Don't judge.
Creamed corn is one of those love it or hate it dishes. Sadly, I know a ton of people that hate it. Bully for me, because, I love it. Corn isn't a go to side for me, as I lump it in with the unnecessary starch carb load category that I tend to avoid if I can, but every once in a while, this sort of side really hits the spot. Pair this with a simple sausage or fish for supper or serve on the side at your next large gathering for an instant hit.
- 4 12 oz bags of frozen corn - thawed
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 large onion - chopped
- ¼ cup butter - diced into ¼? cubes
- 1 teas brown sugar
- 2 teas Cajun seasoning
- ¼ teas black pepper
- 5 slices thick cut bacon
- 3 oz Monterrey jack cheese with peppers
- 1 medium tomato - chopped
- 2 tbs fresh snipped parsley
- 1 teas red wine vinegar
- ⅛ teas sugar
- Pulse 12 oz of corn with half and half in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Place corn, half and half mixture, onion, butter, brown sugar, Cajun seasoning, and black pepper in a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and chop into 1? pieces.
- Toss the chopped tomato with the parsley, red wine vinegar, and sugar in a small bowl.
- Top the creamed corn with the bacon and cheese. Let sit for 5 minutes to melt. Spoon the tomato mixture over the top and serve.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
Cream corn is the shiz....this recipe is awesome!
Um yeah, this is awesome!! I could eat this for breakfast lunch and dinner and be so happy. So my kind of food!
The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time says
I really like the idea of using the slow cooker for this. I never had creamed corn growing up, but Hubby did and loves it. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've never made it for him though. I think now I can change that. Heck, with your topping, it's a meal, not a side.
Candace @ Cabot says
With one amazing recipe, you have change my outlook on creamed corn forever! Can't wait to share this with our Cabot friends.
Vicki @ WITK says
You own 6 slow cookers? Wow 🙂 I feel like I need a small crock pot to go along with my big one - so I can make small servings of delicious sides like this.
Samantha @FerraroKitchen says
Uhhh...I'm a creamed corn lover! Ya...I would even eat it straight from the can. haha
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
Oh my gosh I could eat an entire meal-size of that.
Zainab @ Blahnik Baker says
This can be the whole meal. No need for a main!
If it has bacon in it or on it, my family will eat it. Looks delish!
Oh my gosh! I love creamed corn, and will love it more now that I can make it in my slow cooker!
Nutmeg Nanny says
Oh man, this is bursting with my favorite flavors!! I am dying to get a hold of this 🙂
julia smith says
I live alone, this is to large for me, so can I divide it and will it freeze good. It sounds so good.