Looking back at the archives reveals that there are simply not enough side dishes featured here. With the holiday season barreling towards us at hyper speeds that I am not prepared for, I am doing my best to spice things up and add a few. When serving a large party, I rely heavily on my slow cooker for everything from appetizers to desserts. At the moment I own... 6... >.> Don't judge.
Creamed corn is one of those love it or hate it dishes. Sadly, I know a ton of people that hate it. Bully for me, because, I love it. Corn isn't a go to side for me, as I lump it in with the unnecessary starch carb load category that I tend to avoid if I can, but every once in a while, this sort of side really hits the spot. Pair this with a simple sausage or fish for supper or serve on the side at your next large gathering for an instant hit.
- 4 12 oz bags of frozen corn, thawed
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¼ cup butter, diced into ¼? cubes
- 1 teas brown sugar
- 2 teas Cajun seasoning
- ¼ teas black pepper
- 5 slices thick cut bacon
- 3 oz Monterrey jack cheese with peppers
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh snipped parsley
- 1 teas red wine vinegar
- ⅛ teas sugar
- Pulse 12 oz of corn with half and half in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Place corn, half and half mixture, onion, butter, brown sugar, Cajun seasoning, and black pepper in a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and chop into 1? pieces.
- Toss the chopped tomato with the parsley, red wine vinegar, and sugar in a small bowl.
- Top the creamed corn with the bacon and cheese. Let sit for 5 minutes to melt. Spoon the tomato mixture over the top and serve.
BHG Special Interest Slow Cooker