Salad can be pretty boring by itself. I need protein. I need crunch. This Corn-Chip Chicken Salad has both. Enough chicken to make it a real meal, packaged in crunchy corn-chips. Yup.
Some days I want to quit. I want to pick my bike up and throw it into the woods and never look back. Some time between the seventh or tenth attempt to not get over a log, around the fourth crash things just start to get not fun. I am not pro rider. Heck, I’m not even that skilled of a rider. Bleeding and bruised, I want to quit.
Thursday night, I was there. Angry and discouraged with myself, wondering how hard a nice easy hobby like crocheting would be to learn.
Saturday morning rolled around and I wasn’t in a much better mood. It had rained all night and I had a trail run. I knew it would be muddy and gross. My feet would be wet and I would be tired. I didn’t know that after an hour awake, sitting on the green grass in an open field, I would love this all over again. I certainly didn’t expect to cut 5 minutes off my last time (which by the way, I am pretty stoked about).
Needless to say, as I type this I am itching to get back on the bike. Itching to get miles in and play outside. Even though I am still rocking a cool Disney Princess band-aid from last weeks adventure, I’m no where near quitting yet.
Corn Chip Chicken Salad
Ok, time to eat. I find salad pretty boring by itself. It needs protein. I need a crunch in a bad way. This Corn-Chip Chicken Salad has both. Enough chicken to make it a real meal, packaged in crunchy corn-chips. Yup. Make this.
If you’ve tried this Corn-Chip Chicken Salad recipe, or any other recipe on passthesushi.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also follow along for more good eats and travel tips on Instagram @passthesushi & @girlcarnivore, Twitter & Facebook.
For the Chicken:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/3 tsp cumin
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups corn chips, crushed into fine crumbs
- 1 lbs chicken
For the Salad:
- 2 heads romaine
- 1-2 celery stalk
- 3-4 radishes
- 1/2 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1-2 carrots
- toppings: scallions, bacon, dressing, barbecue sauce, shredded cheese
For the Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Arrange a wire rack over an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips, 1/2" wide.
- In a shallow bowl combine the flour, paprika, garlic salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and cumin. Mix well.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs until slightly foamy.
- Place the crushed corn-chips in a third bowl.
- Coat the chicken in the flour, dip in the eggs (drain excess), and roll about in the corn-chips. You're fingers are going to get messy. It's all good.
- Arrange the corn-chip coated chicken evenly on the prepared wire rack and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Make the salad:
- Chop the romaine, slice and dice the celery, radishes, onions, red pepper, and carrot to your liking. Toss.
- After the chicken has cooled a few moments from the oven, place over individual salads, or onto plates and top with toppings of your choice.