This homemade Spiked Hot Chocolate recipe is the perfect winter drink to sip on this holiday season! With Rumchata, Kahlua, and a brownie-lined rim, this cozy winter drink will have you rocking around the Christmas tree all winter long!
Nothing beats a rich hot chocolate, especially when it's combined with alcohol. One of our favorite things to do with cozy drinks is make them adult-themed by adding some booze, like our Pumpkin Spice White Russian or Coffee Cocktail. It takes the holidays to a whole new level. If you're on the hunt for a richer drink to enjoy with company or curl up on the couch, this Boozy Hot Chocolate is for you.
What Is Spiked Hot Chocolate?
When craving strikes, this alcoholic hot chocolate comes to the rescue. It's made with various ingredients, including half and half, milk, sugar, dark chocolate, Rumchata, and Kahlua. To top it all off, we added a brownie-lined rim because why not? It's a decadent drink that will surely put you in the holiday spirit faster than you can say "hot chocolate!"
What You Need to Make a Boozy Hot Chocolate
For the Hot Cocoa
For the Brownie-Lined Rim
How to Make Spiked Hot Chocolate
- Throw half and half and milk in a medium saucepan over low heat. Keep whisking until you see bubbles around the edges.
- Gently stir in the sugar and let it simmer on low until it's all dissolved and lovely.
- Drop those chocolate squares in, one by one, and whisk until they're all melted. Keep whisking to break down those cocoa solids.
- Take it off the heat, pour in the Rumchata and Kahlua, and give it a good stir.
- Mix powdered sugar and a bit of milk to make icing. Dip your mug rims in it, then press them into crushed brownie brittle.
- Whisk once more for good measure, then pour that deliciousness into each mug. Now, sip and savor!
Expert Recipe Tips
- If you love a peppermint mocha, add in a splash of peppermint schnapps for that perfect holiday flavor!
- For a cinnamon twist, feel free to pop a whole cinnamon stick into your drink.
- Want to put a spin on this, grab the cinnamon and make Brazilian Hot Chocolate.
This warm drink is the perfect decadent treat for a cold night! With natural ingredients and a rich chocolatey coffee flavor, this Boozy Hot Chocolate will carry you through the new year! If you try this recipe, please rate the recipe card to help out the next reader!
For the hot cocoa
- 1 ¾ cups half and half
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 14 oz salted dark chocolate - no more than 70%
- ½ cup Rumchata
- ¼ cup Kahlua
For the brownie lined Rim:
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 4 oz brownie brittle - crushed
- 4 chocolate squares
Simmer the milk:
- Pour the half and half and milk into a small saucepan and place over a lit burner set to low.
- Simmer, whisking occasionally, until bubbles start to appear around the edges.
Whisk in the Sugar:
- Gently whisk in the sugar until combined and simmer over low to dissolve.
Melt the chocolate:
- An ounce at a time, drop the chocolate squares in, whisking until thoroughly melted each time. The liquid will thicken as you melt the chocolate in. Make sure you are whisking well to avoid scalding the milk or burning any chocolate to the edges or seams of the pan.
Stir in the liquor:
- When the chocolate has all been melted in, remove from heat and pour in the rumchata and Kahlua.
- Stir to combine.
Rim the glass:
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar and remaining milk together to form an icing.
- Dip the rims of each mug into the icing to coat.
- Place the now coated rims down into the brownie brittle with gentle force and turn, to coat the rim in crumbs.
- Flip the mugs over and place a chocolate square in the bottom of each.
Pour and Serve:
- Whisking once more, to make sure everything is well combined, pour the hot liquid carefully into each mug evenly.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutritional informations provided as a courtesy and is only an approximatation. Values will changes based on ingredients used.
⭐ Tried this recipe? Rate it ⭐
Help out the next person and give it a star rating below!