Spiced pear cake is one of those desserts that just shouts “Fall is finally here!”. It’s moist, full of sweet pears and deep, earthy spices, and loaded with flavor. And because cake without glaze on top is a sad sight, there’s a thick layer of rich cream cheese glaze on the top of this one.
Fall is finally here and it welcomed itself into town with one hell of a storm last night. It’s 9 million degrees outside and doesn’t feel like Fall at all – but woot! It’s finally here!
I don’t think I have ever anticipated a season so much before. It’s not so much the fact that its Fall – its what that means. Fall means pumpkins, falling leaves, crisp nights, comforting foods like this spiced pear cake, and soon (haha – yes, this is where you can all mock me) Christmas!
Yep, it’s time for my holiday harvesting booty to be in full swing, and in swing it shall be. 😀
But first things first… We must bake cake! Oh, and what’s spiced pear cake without a thick layer of cream cheese glaze on top? If you ask me, it’s just a tad boring, so apply the cream cheese glaze liberally!
Spiced Pear Cake
- 4 ripe pears, peeled and cut in chunks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- cream cheese glaze (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray 4 mini loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray and place on a baking sheet. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine pear chunks and 1/4 cup of sugar, and lemon juice. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the pears soften and break apart. You can help them along by smashing them with a potato masher, or just cook until they get soft on their own. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of pear sauce and set aside to cool.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, the remainder of the granulated sugar, and the brown sugar. Mix on high until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add in vanilla, and beat on medium high speed for 4 minutes. Mix in sour cream.
4. In a small bowl, combine spices, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. With mixer on low, add dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture. Mix until just incorporated. Stir in reserved pear sauce. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream
Mix all ingredients together, adding more or less cream to reach desired consistency.
Have you seen the awesome Target ads for Halloween? They have been all over some magazines and if there was one nearby to me, I would have to scoop up some of that merchandise. Thank God there isn’t because I need another holiday themed piece of anything in my house like I need another hole in my head. For those of you that can enjoy more goodies, go check it out, along with this month’s issue of Country Living where they have 83 Halloween inspired crafts and decorations. There is some really awesome stuff! Makes me want to have a Halloween party…. >.>