Slow Cooker Barbecue Beans

Baked beans are one of those things that seem pretty darned perfect right from the can with that long honored secret recipe locked away from us forever. So, when I set out to make my own batch of baked beans, Handsome asked why bother? One, I wanted too, two I wanted to see if a few hours of slow cooking and the geniuses over at Cook’s Illustrated could convince me that going back to a can was never going to happen again.

It didn’t. But that’s not to say these beans weren’t kicking, but when a good can of beans is at most $2, you really can’t beat it. The pro’s? This recipe can stand to be tweaked a lot. There’s a lot that could be done to really customize some flavors. Also, you know everything you put in it. Knowing what’s in your food goes a long way. So when I need something more then a weeknight quick fix side dish, these beans are totally worth the 11 hour wait.

Comments

1. Catherine Mae says

Would it be ok if I omit the coffee? I’m just not a huge fan of it (even though i live in the city where starbucks was created) I just want to make sure that if I do that, it will not mess up the recipe. :)

Of course you can. I am not a fan of coffee myself. You can substitute a bit more water or barbecue sauce in it’s place.

Normally, I would agree with you. Why waste good bacon? But, going from uncooked to 11 hours in a slow cooker results in a pretty gross and stringy texture. If you would like, I would discard the bacon at the end, and add freshly cooked crisp bacon back to the slow cooker just before serving.

Mmmm….those would have gone so well with my grilled chicken with white bbq suace last night. never made beans from scratch before, I usually just doctor up the canned beans a bit. Looks tasty. Thanks for sharing.

I love homemade baked beans and these sound and look so good – and since they’re in the slow cooker, 11 hours is ok with me :) I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and thanks for sharing such amazing creations…

4. Grimm Bone says

These look great! I’ve just been out to buy the ingredients! Quick question – did you soak the beans overnight? The pack is making this look ‘Very Important’! :)

No. Normally that step is very important, but the elves over at Cook’s Illustrated said to just rinse and pick over for any small stones before dumping them into the crock pot. I didn’t soak mine over night. In a previous attempt with a similar recipe from another source, I did soak the beans, but things never came out quite right.

5. Dee Johnson says

I have been wanting a great recipe for homemade baked beans. I’m going to pin this to try later. My husband hates coffee with a passion, but I’m going to put it in and see if he tastes it. ;) Thanks!