Grilled Fresh Artichokes

Artichokes. Seriously, could I know any less about a particular vegetable. Sure, I could Wikipedia artichokes, learn everything there is to know, but sometimes,  I like to let things remain a mystery.

However, Handsome loves artichokes. (That’s right – the same man who won’t touch onions, winces over green beans, won’t touch a carrot, and will leave a pile of celery at the bottom of a bowl – love’s artichokes). And, we all know what we will do for those we care about, especially if artichokes magically appear in the shopping cart when you are both on a quick in and out trip together. This girl can take a hint.

So, without knowing anything about fresh artichokes, I set out to make Handsome something he would enjoy (mainly because I knew he would not be too thrilled when he saw the main course – play your cards well, ladies).  Lucky for me, I had saved this recipe a while ago knowing my time to bond with artichokes would someday arrive, and it was rather instructional and easy to follow.*

*Up until that part that clearly says to scoop out the choke. As you can tell by my pictures, I missed that part. ;)

Comments

The grill master strikes again. Looks delicious. An artichoke has never passed these lips before…I have a lot in common with Handsome when it comes to vegetable preferences (or squibbity jibbities as in this case) so perhaps they’ll be a hit for me as well?

I know some people enjoy the whole peel, dunk, scrape thing… I’d rather chew on cardboard. Luckily, one of the commercial fresh markets I have a thing with sells them already “de” choked and trimmed of the stegosaurus thingies. It makes for quick work when you have a hankerin’. Love the dipping butter, you can’t go wrong with spicy :)

3. Tanya C. says

I love articokes, but have never tried grilling these look so good! My DH is picky as well, I use to be offended when he carefully picked through the meal. Now he will eat a few things like peppers but at least thats something. Beautiful photos too!

This was my first attempt. Handsome says his mother used to steam them and that is the way he would prefer them. I am guessing that if that were the case, you would just omit the grilling part. He enjoyed the grill but said it brought out a ‘nuttiness’ to the artichoke.

Unfortunately I am not a fan of artichokes. I want to like them, I really do but for some reason there is something that just doesn’t work for me. Your seasonings sound delicious and they look so pretty with the carmelization. I might have to give them another try!

I hope Handsome knows how good you are to him!!! We have it the other way around at our house…hubby wouldn’t touch an artichoke with a 10 foot pole, but I certainly would take seconds of your beautiful grilled numbers. Artichokes have to be the most photogenic vegetable ever…and you certainly did them justice~

I totally know what you mean, I learned how to roast and carve a whole chicken, braise meat, and make a mean steak long before I lost my vegetarian label. But, I absolutely love artichokes and this looks like it’s right up my alley!!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I’m new to artichokes and was looking for something other than mayo to dip them in. Thank you! We’d love it if you would link up your recipe at seasonalpotluck.com March is artichoke month! http://bit.ly/zRfNjo